Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 12 Nov 2000 10:27:59 -0500
From:         Gary Stearns <gstearns@SPRINTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Clutch makes Vanagon die

Hi Steve- It's not actually the clutch causing or fixing this. When you pop the clutch with the van still moving your just jump starting it without using the starter. The stalling is related to the ECU's fuel shutoff when you take your foot off the gas; controlled (mostly) by that little idle switch that has to be adjusted so carefully. When the ECU shuts off fuel in decel mode, it is supposed to restore the fuel flow at idle rpm to keep the engine from stalling completely. Either the switch is out of adjustment (doubtful), the basic idle speed is too low, (could be since it got worse as weather got colder), or the idle stabilizer valve or controller aren't working properly (likely). On our '88, I have found that if I knock the idle down too low (below 950 rpm), it also will stall as I depress the clutch on a trailing throttle decel. It'l also do it if i have the basic mixture too lean. Your answer might require a little detective work, but you'll find it. Oh, this problem is totally fuel and injection control, it's not ignition related.

Gary ----- Original Message ----- From: Steve E <oystratus@HOTMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Sunday, November 12, 2000 9:38 AM Subject: Clutch makes Vanagon die