Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 9 Nov 2000 06:59:28 -0600
From:         Terry Kay <CTONLINE@WEBTV.NET>
Subject:      Off idle syndrome

Well I finally took the time and removed the plug to the ECM,and with my VW PRO Training, fuel injection manual in hand and my multimeter in other, I started testing ohm values. I want everyone to know that this computer stuff scares the hell out of me, simply because I don't know diddley about this stuff, and as far as I was concerned, if it didn't come equipt with points and a condenser, it wasn't right. Anyway, I took the lid off the AFM, potentiometer, and saw this little wiper thing, on a printed circuit board, and I, plugged in the multimeter, in terminal 15and 19, swung the arm on the potentiometer, and the ohm values, that were supposedly to be at 500 to 1000 ohms were at 1700,1900, 1875, in two places, on the board, which were just as the wiper started up the two little arced parallel contact areas. Where this high resistance area is ,is just when the van is suppose to start moving, off idle, exactly where I've been having the "leave from the stop light" problem. I cleaned it off a s much as I could, with contact cleaner, and a cotton swab,and I will say, that the van is a little more responsive, but not as it should be. I'm replacing the AFM, this weekend,( or as soon as I get a new one.) Problem solved in less than an hour! Right proud of myself. Easier than I ever thought !! Hey, Maybe this computer stuff isn't so bad after all! Will report after I install the new AFM.

Later,

Terry 85 GL