Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 13 Nov 2000 12:18:02 EST
From:         Dennis Lockwood <Jshopper1@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Kudos to the list and ebay (Heidelberg radio)

Listees,

Recently the oem cassette deck in my 91 Carat went bad. One channel (the left front - closest to the driver)would cut out completely. You could tap the volume nob on the cassette deck and the sound would come back, until you hit the next bump. Sometimes it would give you a second variation, static. You could bring the sound back, but only temporarily.

I mulled my options and decided to replace the cassette deck with one of like kind, oem VW Heidelberg. Since I listen mostly to talk radio, high fidelity is not a big concern to me (oh, really). High fidelity and Heidelberg are an oxymoron. But original look is important to me.

I searched ebay for about a week until a used Heidelberg unit popped up. I may have bid against some of you listees for the unit. If so, I hope there are no hard feelings. But I was the high bidder ($34.00) including shipping. Buying used electronics anywhere is dicey, and ebay has a reputation for being the home of scam artists. But the seller was scrupulously honest. I received the cassette deck in a few days.

The next hurdle was installation. I poked and pried at the existing Heidelberg unit, but could not get it to budge. So I went to the list archives and searched for "radio." Sure enough, the archives had a post about Heidelberg removal. Knowing the trick to remove the cassette deck made removal / installation a simple 10 minute chore.

The new Heildelberg unit works perfectly. I am pleased with the seller's honesty, and the list's archives. Thanks everybody. The list - it pays to belong!

Dennis Lockwood 91 Carat Original Owner