Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 9 Nov 2000 08:39:44 -0500
From:         James Creech <jacreech@VISUALLINK.COM>
Subject:      Re: Off idle syndrome
Comments: To: CTONLINE@WEBTV.NET

I've read from several of you over the last few months about testing and cleaning the AFM as described here. I've tested mine, but was not sure if the AFM top cover pries off. Does it? Where should I pry, and with a screwdriver? I don't want to damage the part.

My problem is rough idle and acceleration when the engine is cold. I have to give it gas to about 2 or 3k rpm for 30 sec. or so, or it will cut off. When warm it runs very smoothly and with plenty of pep - never stalls when idling once warm.

So I thought I should check the AFM first. Couldn't a rough idle when cold also be a problem with the idle stabilizing unit or the ECU? What should I check, and in what order of priority? Engine got new distributor, rotor, plugs, plug wires, timing, air filter, fuel filter about 2k miles ago and I had no problem then - but this problem has gotten progressively worse recently.

Thanks! Jim Creech 87 Westy GL, 2.1

> Anyway, I took the lid off the AFM, potentiometer, and saw this little > wiper thing, on a printed circuit board, and I, plugged in the > multimeter, in terminal 15and 19, swung the arm on the potentiometer, > and the ohm values, that were supposedly to be at 500 to 1000 ohms were > at 1700,1900, 1875, in two places, on the board, which were just as the > wiper started up the two little arced parallel contact areas.

> I cleaned it off a s much as I could, with contact cleaner, and a cotton > swab,and I will say, that the van is a little more responsive, but not > as it should be. I'm replacing the AFM, this weekend. > Problem solved in less than an hour!

Terry 85 GL