Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 14 Nov 2000 08:41:58 -0500
From:         "Koloski, John G." <jkoloski@GPO.GOV>
Subject:      Re: Tiico Conversion
Comments: To: bigw <bigw@gateway.net>

Kit took 17 weeks (not 6 to 8) to arrive. Looks very good, don't anticipate any major problems. Video will be less than spectacular as I am doing the conversion singlehandedly so I must wrench & film at the same time.

I am using :

a tripod (to hold the video camera)

a 2 1/2 ton hydraulic floor jack (to wrestle engines around)

Two jackstands (to hold the car up)

a cheap welder (under $100 including shipping from JC Whitney, to weld motor mounts to frame) YOU COULD INSTALL WITHOUT WELDING (bolts to frame) AND THEN DRIVE COMPLETED VEHICLE TO WELDING SHOP the instructions from South Africa say to weld motor mounts on (they also say to register your vehicle with the South African Police Department & get your vehicle logbook stamped within 21 days of compleation).

an angle grinder (comes in handy)

Various handtools most of which were included in a $29 tool kit from Walmart

So far I've had one weekend at it. I've jacked up the car, removed and stripped the original engine, and ordered new clutch parts from busdepot (which will arrive before the next weekend). I've also welded in the motor mounts.

-----Original Message----- From: bigw [mailto:bigw@gateway.net] Sent: Monday, November 13, 2000 4:37 PM To: Koloski, John G. Subject: Tiico Conversion

I just sent a check for a kit. Any info about the time it took to come and how the kit looks is appreciated. I will send money for video. Have you seen a van with the installation done? Good luck and thanks, WILL