Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 9 Nov 2000 06:40:02 -0800
From:         PSavage <psavage@SABER.NET>
Subject:      Nicro Solar Powervent Installed!

Good morning Listees, Here's the followup on the Nicro solar Powervent 3000 I bought Sunday at West Marine in Sausalito, Ca. Many of you on the list asked that I report on the project--

Since this vent is designed for use on sailboats & is commonly installed in hatches similar to our Westy skylights, installation was a snap! I took the hatch off my Westy in the parking lot of Tap Plastics in Santa Rosa & showed Jeff where to cut the 3 & 3/4 diameter hole. Jeff drilled a small pilot hole, then made the final cut using a router. Three other small screw holes were drilled in the top layer of acrylic. Then I popped the unit in place & drove home, preferring to do the final bedding in clear silicone at home in my leisure.

The unit looks great! It adds only an additional 2" to the height of the skylight. It's stainless housing comes with removable insect screens. There is an on/off switch for the fan from below & the unit comes with two fan blades, quickly changed, for exhaust or intake. Once fully charged, the unit operates 48 hours without benefit of light. The little motor is whisper quiet. It exhausts 900 cubic feet of air/hour, which will be helpful in keeping my Westy's interior comfortable in warm, sunny climes.

Nicro makes a large line of solar vents, some passive, several active, like the one I chose, & several active 12 volt units, the most powerful of all, which are hard wired to the battery.

I am pleased with the unit I chose. It serves my purposes & since it operates independently, I can use it with impunity! For any of you who continue to be interested in this project, you can find Nicro vents at: www.westmarine.com I paid $145 for the unit, plus another $22 for the optional stainless housing & a few dollars to have the hole drilled. Phaedra '85 Westy-Wolf