Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 14 Nov 2000 11:11:44 -0800
From:         Stuart MacMillan <macmillan@HOME.COM>
Subject:      Re: Oil Pump Replacement
Comments: To: CyrusWV@AOL.COM

First, I have to ask why you are doing this at all, are you just a glutton for punishment? If your oil pressure is low you have bearing problems, not an oil pump problem. A high vol pump may buy you some time, but you are better off rebuilding the engine, especially if you are over 150,000 miles. Been there, tried this. Got 9000 miles before the engine spun a rod bearing and threw the rod. Then you will need to find a rebuildable core engine to get back on the road. Adds at least $500 to the cost.

If for some reason you insist on doing this, you will need to drop the rear of the engine down, watching that you don't over extend any hoses or wires (you will have to disconnect the fuel lines, accel cable, and probably other stuff), remove the rear exhaust pipe and muffler, engine mounting bracket with heat shield, and then the rear pulley. I'm not familiar with the 2.1 cooling plumbing, so some of that may also need to be removed if it is in the way.

Then you can usually GENTLY rock the pump out after removing the cover by using a couple of screwdrivers on opposite sides. If it won't come you can loosen those two case bolts near the pump, and even get an inexpensive special puller from your local VW parts shop.

New pumps have always come with a cover in my experience, and the high vol pump's cover on my new engine is aluminum with fins. This is one that my rebuilder has found that will clear the pulley, so be sure there is no interference before you bolt it all back up. Pack the pump with light multi purpose grease to help it get primed the first time.

Stuart