Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 16 Nov 2000 17:06:33 -0800
From:         Mark Drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Tires
Comments: To: JohnHJhouser@AOL.COM

The Laredos are a decent tire and certainly better than many that people put on Vanagons. The load index of 93 is a little weak for a Westy but you could do worse and the Michelin LTX MS of the same size has similar load ratings. Costco sells a comparable house tire for $48 last I checked. I consider the presence of 2 plys in the sidewall to be a requirement for the sidewall stiffness and strength needed for Vanagons and all 3 of these have it. That and a maximum pressure rating high enough for what is on your door sticker are the basic minimum requirements but I prefer to aim for at least a 97 load rating for Westys driven on rough roads.

Mark

John Houser wrote: > > Volks, > > I just bought an 84 Westy that has a mix of the wrong kind of tires on it > and am looking to put new tires all round. Has anyone used the Uniroyal > Laredo AWP? > According to the Uniroyal specs, the Laredo AWP 195/75R14 C has a UTQG of > 440A C, a max load of 1435 lbs and a max pressure of 50 psi and an all season > tread pattern. Is this tire sufficiently strong/stiff for the Vanagon? > Wallmart will sell me these tires for $63.00 each and mount and balance them > for another $10.00 each. Does anyone out there have a better combination of > price and suitability in an all-season vanagon tire? > > TIA, > John