Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 17 Nov 2000 10:02:39 -0500
From:         Derek Drew <derekdrew@RCN.COM>
Subject:      How To Live With Heavy List Volume--Mail Filters
Comments: To: syncro@onelist.com

This is my periodic posting of how to be on the Vanagon/Syncro mailing lists in such a way that it causes no burden on your time, and doesn't clutter up you email box. It is intended to help people stay on the list who are otherwise thinking of quitting due to the volume of emails being sent out. There is no reason that any owner of a Vanagon should unsubscribe the list due to the heavy list volume. It is all in how you set it up.

=================================

A happy relationship to the list is one in which the list can take up no more than 10 or 15 mins of your time *per month* if do not want it to take up more. It is also one in which you read almost *no* stupid posts. The Vanagon list does not have to be a burden not matter how much mail it produces.

Here are some general principals:

1. DO NOT USE DIGEST MODE. People think that digest mode saves them work because it sticks messages in one big file that they can read. But digest mode actually creates additional work because the messages are not bunched by topic properly, and it is harder to scan them quickly all together.

2. MAKE A VANAGON MAILBOX. This means to use an email program such as Eudora or Outlook that can recognize that a message is coming from the vanagon list and the program moves all your mail into this mailbox you create specifically for Vanagon mail. The beauty of a Vanagon mailbox is that you never know what is in it until you are in the mood to read Vanagon mail. The Vanagon list creates zero burden on your normal life until you choose for it to come into your life.

3. READ YOUR MAIL INFREQUENTLY. Try not reading *any* vanagon mail for a week or two. You can even go a month! I think two weeks is the right number. This allows the messages to bunch up, and you can then arrange them by subject and delete all subjects that do not interest you. (see next message)

3. WHEN READING VANAGON MAIL ARRANGE POSTS BY SUBJECT. This is vitally important. In commercial version of Eudora you look at all mail in the mailbox and you can click on the subject heading. This makes all the messages arrange themselves by subject. You can then select all 50 messages with the subject line, "List Vendors Suck" all at once, very fast. Hit the delete key. Then find all messages with the subject line "Horray For List Vendors" and hit the delete key. Then find all messages that say, "Here is where *I* live!" and hit the delete key. This process can take only seconds until you are left with only those messages in which you have a current interest.

4. CREATE BOZO FILTERS. This means that if one particular list member annoys you with silly stuff, set your mail filters to send his email directly to the trash bin rather than to the Vanagon list email. You will never even know they existed. If one objected to list vendors, for example, one could send all their messages immediately to the trash. I do not do this myself, as I consider their participation helpful and appropriate. But the point is that it is easy to do.

5. DO *NOT* READ MESSAGES TO SCAN THEIR CONTENT. Many email programs like Eudora and Outlook allow you to view the content of each message as an aide to screening. I view this as a serious mistake. It is inefficient and intolerable for people like me with time pressures. It will take you a lot of time and you will begin to hate the list. Consider instead screening all your mail by subject heading only. This is the most efficient way to filter it. One other way to filter it is to decide what you are interested in, and then have the filters robot in your email program do the work for you. For example, if you own a diesel, for example, you could even set up a robot to pick up all messages with the word "diesel" in them and then put these messages into a special Vanagon List Diesel mailbox. That would become your preferred mailbox.

6. OPTIONAL: CONSIDER CREATING YOUR OWN VANAGON ARCHIVE. I have every post from the Vanagon list since its first day on my laptop. After messages go in the trash, my mail filter sweeps them away and puts them in a big mailbox named Vanagon Archive. If I wish, I can search this archive with the search functionality in Eudora.

By the means I have discussed, I never even see messages saying "You people are losers" because I never select out their subject headings. I am only dimly aware of some of our more silly threads.

I would quit the list too if I were on digest, as this is a prehistoric and very onerous method of trying to be on this list. I suggest anybody on digest either get off digest and into a good email program as fast as they can, or get their head examined for why they would stay on the list and tolerate the difficulty of using a digest mode.

This message is a revised and reposed version of a message I sent out in October of 1999. Many list members wrote to me at that time saying it was valuable, so I have reposted it here for the benefit of others to see. ________________________________________________________ Derek Drew New York, NY & Washington, DC derekdrew@rcn.com EMAIL ME FOR VISCOUS COUPLINGS '90 Syncro Westfalia... ...seen off-road at http://www.tiu.net/~des/vw/drew/index.html

Also seen at: http://4wd.sofcom.com/VW/snow.html http://4wd.sofcom.com/VW/Campers/Campers.html Note: most valuable Vanagon sites on the planet (for owners) are: http://gerry.vanagon.com/cgi-bin/wa.exe?S1=vanagon ftp://gerry.vanagon.com/pub/ To sign up for the Vanagon mailing list send email to listserv@gerry.vanagon.com with the body text SUBSCRIBE VANAGON Firstname Lastname To sign up for the Syncro mailing list go to http://www.egroups.com/group/Syncro