Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 17 Nov 2000 11:50:32 -0500
From:         "Anthony L. Mourkas" <frankenstein@TELPLUS.NET>
Subject:      Re: Ethanol & fuel system parts

I have been reading this thread with interest. Last Summer, as some of you may recall, I had a episode of the dreaded buzzing fuel pump in my 84 Westy in the Black Hills of South Dakota. After having a fuel filter delivered overnight to the local FLAPS (I now carry a spare!), I swapped it in at the campground at 8AM while Anne prepared breakfast.

I only mention this because the buzzing occurred after three straight fillups with a 10% ethanol content gasoline blend. (It was also HOT out, temperatures 100+.) I avoided the ethanol blend gas the rest of the trip and I had no further buzzing pump episodes during the rest of our journey back to Maine, and have had no further trouble since.

I stopped using the ethanol blend gas because it seemed the only variable I could link to the clogged fuel filter. It was also the hottest part of our trip, but other days on our journey were just as hot without incident. It was, however, the highest elevation we reached during our travels.

I am not "knocking" the ethanol blend fuel as I can not say that the two are related in a cause and effect relationship. A has been related in this thread, some use it, some avoid it like the plague. Your "mileage" may vary.

So I pose the question:

Is it possible that the use of an ethanol blend gas on three successive fillups loosened up some crud in my tank and clogged up my fuel filter? Or are these symptoms unrelated to each other?

Best wishes,

Tony

Anthony L. Mourkas Hampden, Maine, USA 1984 Vanagon Westfalia 1991 Jetta Eco Diesel 1991 Volvo 240 sedan (for sale)