Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 17 Nov 2000 21:01:43 +0100
From:         Calle Fallberg <calle.fallberg@SWIPNET.SE>
Subject:      Re: Replacing Engine System Fluids (F) -longish

D. Beierl wrote :

SNIP

> The other (and primary) issue is that brake fluid gets *hot* and its > boiling point is drastically lowered by moisture. If it boils, i.e. some > of it vaporizes in the system, strange things could happen such as the > brakes having a mushy pedal and/or not releasing when you let off the pedal.

Strange things.... yea, I remember one Christmas eve when I went out in my ten years old Volvo with new brakepads and factory stock fluid to get my brother at the ferry from UK, a nice little 380 US mile drive at below zero farenheit temperature . All of a sudden the car started loosing power and finally stopped even thuogh I downshifted and tried to force it to go . This was christmas eve at 11 o´clock with hardly nobody else out on the road so I felt the panic for a while, just sat there in my car , trying to figure out what to do when I heard the discs "pinging " when the melting snow hit them and cooled them a bit ! The new pads where dragging just a little which made the water in the brakefluid vaporize and building up pressure in the system = brake the car ! The pads were grinded down enough to let them go free from the disc though so I was able to go on with the driving . Had to change both fluid and pads, the heat had made them dimond hard and really unefficient :( Since then I have been thorough with changing fluid on the motorcycles I´ve had - but never again on a car ..... some people never learn ....;-)

Calle -88 Vanagon Mullhyttan, Sweden