Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 17 Nov 2000 17:16:12 -0700
From:         John Klun <jklun@GJ.NET>
Subject:      NOT a Fryeday Funnie

Volks-

Yesterday, I decided to repair my odometer once and for all. I thought I did when I followed the directions some of you had posted to the list- one was by 'crimping' the end of the spindle on which the plastic gear sits, the other to epoxy the gear to the end of the spindle. The only thing I succeeded in doing was turning my odometer back by a mile. It didn't work. While attempting to road test it I decide to take the dogs for a little ride up a mountain and see the snow.

Anyway, the light truck M+S tires I have all around didn't work. The tread looked aggressive enough but it really sucked in the little bit of snow on the road. In fact, I was in 3rd gear at around 35-40 mph going up the road. Suddenly, my right rear wheel seemed to break free and I found myself sliding almost backward up hill towards the opposite side of the road. I nearly came to a stop at a 90 deg. angle facing the opposite side of the road but as soon as the front wheels cleared the crest, the rest of the van decided to slide down the incline. A 100 feet to the right and my journey would not have been stopped by some scrub oak bushes. There are places on this road with no guardrails and when you go over, it's long ride/slide down. As it was, the incline was about 60 deg. and the van was nose down. The dogs didn't like that at all.

Thanks to a friendly State of Colorado plow and sanding truck, I was back on the road again (much more carefully this time and headed for home) after about an hour. Lesson learned- don't drive TO a snow storm (especially in CO); stay home where it's warm; don't p*off the vanagon gods and put some more weight in the rear. By the way- no damage was done to the van, just a little scratch here and there, but the van needs to be repainted anyway next spring.

This has been my first vanagon driving experience in the snow and I didn't like it. I used to have an Aerostar van and it was better in the snow. Maybe it was the tires...