Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 17 Nov 2000 19:57:46 -0500
From:         Sam Walters <slwalters@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      [Fwd: Re: Wishbone Aligner tool]

To The List:

I was curious about the Wishbone Aligner mentioned in a email yesterday and also was not too embarrassed to display my ignorance of this subject. I sent the email at the bottom to the manufacturer yesterday and got this response back.

I learned something, more about alignment than about their tool. Hope this is useful to someone else also.

Sam Walters Alignment challenged - Almost always veering left.

-------- Original Message -------- Subject: Re: Wishbone Aligner tool Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 18:20:38 -0500 From: "Wishbone" <wish@istar.ca> To: "Sam Walters" <slwalters@earthlink.net> References: <3A14CCE8.7F86F6CE@earthlink.net>

Hi Sam,

Thanks for your questions.

First the real basics. Toe is how close to straight ahead the tires point (looking from above). Camber is the lean in or out of the tire looking from the front. Caster is a little trickier but for most vehicles is the angle of the strut looking from the side.

I know most Volkswagens very very well (I rallied Sciroccos and Golfs for years), except Vanagons! (sorry). But I strongly suspect that the caster is unadjustable. Caster is only an issue if something's been bent. If caster is an issue, go spend the money to get things sorted out at a shop. So, don't worry about caster.

Next, camber. On the cheap, camber is very easy to check with some level ground and a small level. Then, if a Vanagon is anything like all other VWs, the front camber can be tweaked by loosening the two bolts holding the strut to the wheel bearing housing ('spindle' or 'knuckle'). The top bolt is cammed, so within limits, you turn the top bolt and change the camber. Check your Bentley.

Finally, toe. Toe is by far the most common and important alignment adjustment. It's also very simple to check. Just measure inside wheel-to-wheel at the front and back of each set of tires. The difference is your toe. Now, that is simple, but it's also a pain in the ass and needs 2 people. That's why we came up with the Wishbone Aligner. With the Aligner, you don't crawl under the car, you can do it yourself, it only takes a minute. Plus it comes complete with two top quality tape measures.

Hope this helps.

Pete Pollard Wishbone Racing wish@istar.ca

----- Original Message ----- From: "Sam Walters" <slwalters@earthlink.net> To: <wish@istar.ca> Sent: Friday, November 17, 2000 1:15 AM Subject: Wishbone Aligner tool