Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 18 Nov 2000 10:09:30 EST
From:         Chuck Mathis <CMathis227@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Snow Driving was: NOT a Fryeday Funnie
Comments: To: KENWILFY@aol.com

Excellent advice from Ken.

Three of the bext 'snow cars' I've owned were a '67 VW Microbus - Rollo, a '70 Transporter - Gertrude, and a Diesel Rabbit - Bugs -- none could go fast enough to get out of their own way.

Many years ago in Knoxville we had a substantial snow fall and I chose the venture out in Rollo ('67 Bus) (visiting my girlfriend seemed a good reason). I dropped my rear tire pressue to around fifteen pounds in the old near bald 14" may-pops and took off. At the bottom of a steep hill I took advantage of the super low gearing provided by the reduction gears and started up very slowly -- slow as only a bus could go (Diesel Rabbits weren't invented yet:O). Some guy in an early pre-SUV Blazer came flying by at a pretty good clip. As I made my way up the hill I noticed this guy's tracks wandering quite a bit. Just short of the top he was off in the ditch continuing to apply copious amounts of power throwing snow and mud all over the place. I stopped to offer to call for asistance when I got to a phone -- towing with an high mileage original stock '67 engine was not an option.

The Rabbit got me through two winters in Juneau, Alaska without sliding except once when I had to dodge another slider.

My '85 Westy is not likely to see snow duty unless we have a freak storm in Houston. Even then I'll be heeding Ken's first piece of advice since Texans tend to be very confused by snow and SUV's are big and have multiplied like bunnies here.