Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 18 Nov 2000 13:34:16 CST
From:         Mark Ingalls <ingalls_mark@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Brake Caliper Bolt Saga

Hello All,

While in the process of inspecting my recently acquired 85 GL I inspected the front brake pads and they were down to maybe 1/1000 inch of pad left. Well the PO got his moneys worth out of that set of pads.

I moved the the rear drums and with a borrowed impact wrench I took off the 46mm (1&13/16inch) nut. Low and behold the rear brakes were past the rivit and the drum is scored badly. Also lifted the rubber boot for the brake cylinder and fliud squirted out. So I ordered pads and linings and cylinders from BD. Ordered Wheel bearing seals for the front and rear wheels from Rocky Mountain Motor Works. Will go to a salvage yard in Lincoln Nebraska for the rear drum.

While taking the front calipers off the lower bolt on the right caliper would not budge. I used the impact wrench on it. It wouldn't go, so I borrowed a bigger impact. Still no go. I was doing this over a few days period so I was squirting penetrating fluid on it every day.

I work at a power plant so I talked it over with some of the machinists and the plan I came up with was to use a mapp/oxygen torch I bought from Menard's. I heated up the area on the steering knuckle that the bolt was threaded into. I had to heat for maybe 1/2 hour because this cheap torch I have puts out so little heat. Once it was hot enough that 'spit sizzles' (300-400 degrees F) I took some special penetrating oil we have at work, and with a Q-tip I wicked the penetrating oil into the space between the caliper and the steering knuckle. I then let it all cool for 2 hours.

I then went back and tried the impact wrench, still no go. I then tried my cheapie breaker bar combined with a 1 1/2 foot cheater pipe and a 6 point 19mm socket. I put a lot of torque to it and I heard a POP! I thought I had broken the pin in the cheap breaker bar but NO! The bolt had given up and came loose!

The bolt that came out is now a little twisted so that will be on my salvage yard shopping list also.

One note is that using a torch close to the brake caliper like I did may result in the caliper seals failing, I will have to see what happens when I bleed the system and afterwards.

I am also replacing the beat up CV joint bolts so I will be so close to having the rear bearing housing out that I am going to take it out and refresh the grease in them also.

I have a 75 bug with a 2213 engine so I've been blasting around with that in 15 degree F weather while this job is getting along. Had to put synthetic oil in the bug for this cold of weather if I wanted to turn any decent RPM's.

So long Volks,