Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 18 Nov 2000 18:06:59 -0700
From:         Karl Wolz <wolzphoto@WORLDNET.ATT.NET>
Subject:      Cooling system question

Hello to all,

First some background:

Last spring I replaced the water pump in my wife's '84. Last winter, the heat worked OK, and the temp gauge would pop up after 3 - 4 miles and sit about dead center no matter what.

Since I replaced the water pump, the gauge never rises more than a bit above bottom, except in slow stop and go traffic.

Ah hah, you say. It's the thermostat! Well, with cooler weather coming along, my sweet wife asked me to fix her heat. Easy job, I think. I'll just go ahead and install a new thermostat.

Well, the old thermostat was working fine. I installed the new one, and I'm not sure yet if there was a change. I bled the system, or at least attempted to. I couldn't get any air out of the system. I find it hard to believe that I could have replaced the thermostat without letting in any air.

I let the van sit there and idle for about a half hour, but it never got hot enough to fire up the radiator fan. I did jump it, and it ran on both speeds. It starts well and runs well, but I'm not at all sure it's running right!

Anyway, do I have a problem?

Karl Wolz