Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 18 Nov 2000 17:52:40 -0800
From:         Fast Forward <sales@FASTFORWARD.CA>
Subject:      Re: Knock Sensor Kit for A 86-91 Vanagon
Comments: To: Mark Keller <kelphoto@islandnet.com>,
          Joel Walker <jwalker17@earthlink.net>

Mark, Joel and the Vanagon List,

I will take another look at the Digifant I schematic and see exactly what is needed. Currently my RB manual is at a friends house.

The knock sensor kits are designed for CIS based VWs like the Rabbit and Scirocco. These cars had a very simple ignition system. The hall sender style distributor was attached to a little black box in the rain tray and this controlled the firing of the coil. The timing was changed via vacuum and centrifugal advancing. The knock sensor kit replaces the distributor with a pure electronic one and a computer controls the timing. On these cars the O2 sensor computer was independent from the timing. My only question on the Vanagon would be does the O2 section of the Digifant I ECU depend on timing signals from the distributor... it is certainly worth looking at and I am quite sure it could be done. The Vanagon distributor's timing is controlled by the Digifant ECU box so this is why I am bringing up this concern. Another potential problem is the trigger wheel shutter openings. On the 8V A2 series VWs there are two types of distributors... a xxx xxx 205 and an xxx xxx 205 S - both are electrically the same but you need the 205 S to work with the knock sensor computer as the trigger wheel on the 205 has smaller openings. Again not a really big issue, as we could swap parts but it could cause some grief.

David Marshall

Fast Forward Autobahn Sport Tuning 4356 Quesnel Hixon Road Quesnel BC Canada V2J 6Z3 mailto:info@fastforward.ca http://www.fastforward.ca Phone: (250) 992 7775 FAX: (250) 992 1160

. Vanagon Accessories and Engine Conversions . Transporter, Unimog and Iltis Sales . European Lighting for most Audi and Volkswagen models

-----Original Message----- From: Mark Keller [mailto:kelphoto@islandnet.com] Sent: November 18, 2000 9:38 AM To: Joel Walker; Fast Forward; Vanagon List Subject: Re: Knock Sensor Kit for A 86-91 Vanagon

Joel,

Well I did see David mention that the kit had a distributor too, but he indicates that the digifant distributor is compatible with the kit's control box. I believe David also mentions that the Kit has a device that is mounted inside the distributor housing. David, what devices are removed from the stock digifant distributor and what is installed?

Joel Walker wrote: > > > According to David at Fast Forward, the kit has a control box and > gizmo > > that goes into the distributor to actively control timing. > > He say's it will work. > > well ... ok, then. but i don't see much on our distributors that > allows such timing controls. must be in the control box. > > hope it works! :)