Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 18 Nov 2000 22:24:27 -0500
From:         "Karl M." <thewestyman@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject:      Re: Unimogs, was   Re: Tristar Prices FWIW
Comments: To: Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ>

Oh, this is just hogwash. You need to stop reading so much, and drive one. The Unimog is nothing short of an amazing vehicle! I recently visited a friend from the list in Pennsylvania, who owns 3 Syncro Vanagons, and 6 Unimogs. I had never seen one in person, and he offered a ride through the mountains in his 'Mog 406 shorty (diesel), and up his personal 'obstacle' course, which was a 45~50 degree slope covered in huge boulders. The thing was loud and slow, but I was blown away by the extreme capabilities of the machine. Hydraulic-operated diff locks front and rear, big 20 inch wheels with strange looking military-style tires. He could weave through the tight trees on his property, over 12 inch diameter logs, huge rocks, you name it, the machine said 'no problem'. Then we approached the steep slope, locked the diffs, and I held on REAL tight to anything I could, 'cause this beast went up and over rocks that would swallow a Syncro whole. Absolutely incredible! No way in Hades will any Syncro touch the capabilites of these Unimogs. Oh, I love my Syncro Westy, and have been some tight places with it, but I WILL own a Unimog some day too, they are a real indestructable 4WD machine! And have been used for years as military vehicles and serious farm vehicles/tractors! Not to mention aircraft pullers, backhoes, snow blowers, etc. etc.

Karl Mullendore Westy Ventures 1987 Syncro Westfalia 1.9TD