Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 20 Nov 2000 21:20:44 -0800
From:         Craig Spaeth <spaeth@GORGE.NET>
Subject:      Re: Speaker size

> "I believe that the door speakers and speakers in the rear A/C unit in my > 90 Vanagon Carat are 4". Can anyone confirm this before I order some > from Crutchfield? > Also, I am looking at Pioneer 2-way 4 inchers (if this is right size), > anyone have any suggestions?"

Yes, they are 4". You may have to do some shaving to get even a regular 4" speaker in there. As for suggestions that depends on how good of sound you want. Your best bet would be to get some seperate mid and tweeters. I mounted 4" Kicker mids in the doors and then ran speaker wires up the windshield seal and mounted the swiveling tweeters next to the visors. This makes for a virtually invisible installation. You need to be very careful of the thickness of the grill. Eclipse is one of the only 4" speakers that has a grill thin enough to fit next to the dash. My Kickers fit but actually touch the dash. I am going to get some Eclipse grills to put on those so that they will clear better. For the rears I used the Eclipse point source speakers. The are a two way speaker (the tweater in the center of the mid range) but have their own dedicated crossovers for each part of the speakers. The Kickers have excellent mid range so they are better in the front. The Eclipses have very strong bass and high end so they really penetrate from the back. I had the Eclipses in the front and they were to synthetically bass heavy for my tastes. This may be way more than you wanted to know but at the very least watch the height from where the speaker hits the door panel to the top of the dome on the speaker grill. hope this helps, Craig the Gorge VW club