Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 18 Nov 2000 23:45:41 -0500
From:         Martin Jagersand <jager@CS.JHU.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Question about 1.6d injection pump
Comments: To: oggy@etf-bl.rstel.net
Comments: cc: jag@cs.rochester.edu
              on Sat, 18 Nov 2000 17:40:54 +0100)

Hi

I think you made a good diagnosis. The leak can easily be small enough to not be noticable while driving, but drain the pump and filter of fuel while not running.

I have had problems like this myself and know of no clever way to find out where it leaks. Part of the pump is fuel filled and basically any fitting or bushing can leak :-(

It makes sense to start checking the easy parts:

First check that there are no hairline cracks where the transparent hose attaches to the pump. I've had a crack in the underside of the hose just next to the fitting, and almost pulled a perfectly good 1.9TD pump due to this.

Check the removable fuel input and return fittings on the pump and the copper washers. If suspect replace copper washers.

Check all fuel return lines (yes it can drain backwards even when the air leak is in the return system)

Failing all this, the next step is to remove the pump and check the bushings and o-rings for the various shafts. You probbaly want the VW fuel injection manual for this.

Alternatively: put a low pressure fuel pump at the tank and run it a little before starting.

Hope you don't mind me asking, but where are you from?

Good luck, Martin (From Sweden, but now in Canada)

Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 17:40:54 +0100 From: Ognjen Maric <oggy@etf-bl.rstel.net> X-Accept-Language: en,sr Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii X-AntiVirus: scanned for viruses

Hello,

I've read your pages about VW diesel engines and found them very informative and helpful in solving some Bosch-pump related problems. However, I still have one problem with my Golf I can't solve and I couldn't find the answer anywhere, so I figured I might ask you for some help.

I have some difficulties starting the engine. I suspect that the injection pump is the cause of the problem. I've observed the hose which supplies the pump with the fuel from the filter, i.e. tank (the very end of the hose is transparent). When the engine is working, everything seems to be working properly and that there is no air in the hose. However, immediately after I turn the engine off, I can see a small bubble of air coming from the injection pump, through the hose and back to the tank. I assume that the fuel is flowing back from the pump too, and I assume that's why I'm having problems with starting. Based on the schematics that can be found on your injection pump page, I assume that a dirty regulating valve seat could cause this. In your opinion, is this the case?

Thanks, Ognjen