Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 23 Nov 2000 15:14:11 -0800
From:         Stuart MacMillan <macmillan@HOME.COM>
Subject:      Rev limits, definitive answer
Comments: To: JKrevnov@AOL.COM

Nothing is in the Bentley regarding this for the Digijet (there is a 5600 RPM cut out noted for the Digifant), but I found this in the book "Bosch Fuel Injection and Engine Management" by Charles Probst, published by Robert Bentley, 1989, p. 14:

"Precise control of fuel delivery allows the fuel system to be used to limit engine RPM and prevent damage from overrevving. Before the days of catalytic converters, RPM was limited by simply cutting out the ignition when RPM got too high. Cutting the ignition, however, still allows unburned fuel into the catalytic converter and causes it to overheat; sometimes dangerously. Since the mid 1970's and the advent of catalytic converters, RPM limitation has been accomplished by the fuel injection system cutting back on fuel delivery. The goal is to keep the engine running at its limitation without dumping unburned fuel into the catalytic converter."

I can attest to this. As I was attempting to overtake a vehicle in third gear once I hit this limit. The engine lost power but kept trying, as my speed dropped I realized what was going on and dropped back.

You are right Rich, it is much simpler and cheaper to program a chip than make a mechanical device, and as this paragraph states, that would cause problems with the CAT anyway.

I'm enjoying the aroma of turkey cooking in the oven right now, it's almost time to eat. Happy Thanksgiving to Rico and all other listees!

" RPM Limitation?

Rico Sapolich wrote: > > << The Digijet has a limit too >> > > The rev limiter on the 1.9L of which I have knowledge is in the form of a > centrifugal switch built into the distributor rotor specified for this engine. > > Stuart, > > The more I think about this, bolstered by some cursory research, the more I > feel that I have been propagating some misinformation and all you have said > is correct. My reasons are: 1) It would be a real feat of engineering to > design a reliable, high voltage, automatic disconnect to fit within the > confines of the distributor rotor and which costs less than $10; 2) The > engine would probably backfire once the revs dropped below the limit > setpoint. I wish I still had my '84 1.9L so that I could dissect that rotor. > > I hope this day of thanks finds you with many blessings. > > Rich