Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 22 Nov 2000 08:29:18 -0500
From:         Pat Dooley <pdooley@GTE.NET>
Subject:      Re: Manual or Automatic? Which is the One True Tranny...
Comments: To: OsbornSmyth@GATEWAY.NET

The auto tranny with TQ in my 85 Vanagon was over 200 lbs. A heavy beast. The 4spd manual in there now is very manageable. I didn't weigh it, but would guess around 70 lbs. Our manual trans rebuilders that ship UPS can offer some info on that.

The general consensus on the Vanagon list is the auto is the better choice. They seem to be more robust than the manuals, they do not use more fuel nor rob much hp, though they still suck energy by their basic design principle: shearing ATF.

FWIW, every car I have ever owned with an automatic has been a disappointment. I have fallen victim to sluggish shifting performance, bad gas mileage and mechanical failures. My Data points include Audi and VW autos of the I5 nature, i.e. 5000 turbo and NA Quantum 5 cyl.

HTH, PSD.