Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 24 Nov 2000 14:10:29 -0500
From:         Dennis Haynes <Dhaynes57@EMAIL.MSN.COM>
Subject:      Re: Oil Pump Replacement
Comments: To: CyrusWV@AOL.COM

I have to ask, why do you want or think you need an oversize oil pump? I have found these to be more harm than good for a number of reasons. As for the cover plate, Gene Berg sells a plate with an additional relief valve. This will be needed for winter operation. The stock relief/regulator valve will not handle the additional flow at a very cold temps. Especially if you don't wait for the oil to warm up before revving it. The new relief valve will be the oil filter as the gasket blows out or the can self destructs. The increased flow will also cause increased oil consumption and possible leaks. The Consumption increased is caused by the increased splash on the cylinders, especially since the extra oil will just puddle on the bottom. The increased flow to the bearings seems to be more than the "drains" can handle causing pressure to build behind the rear seals causing them to leak. .

If you are having oil pressure problems, the real cause needs to be corrected. A larger pump is only a temporary fix at best. Causes of oil pressure problems could be as simple as wrong viscosity, high temperatures, wrong oil level, (either too high or too low) or simply a tired engine. Excessive blow by will cause the oil to become diluted reducing it's viscosity adding to the problem. Hope this helps..

The pump can be replaced with the engine in the Van. It is easiest if you remove the muffler and the rear engine mount assembly. The engine will have to be supported to do this.

Dennis