Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 25 Nov 2000 07:54:02 -0800
From:         pensioner <al_knoll@PACBELL.NET>
Subject:      LT vs Unimog

Hi Volks,

I saw a beautiful LT Conversion in Boise Hideho. Simply outstanding. It had TurboDiesel of some sort. It was big and the beautifully made camper section was worth several pictures....Now if I can find em...Anyway I spoke with the owner/driver from Scandanavia. He paid in excess of 80KUSD for the critter new. Waay outa my pocket.

Now I don't recall if this was 4WD or not.

Specs on a recently seen UniMog 416 Custom "Yacht".

1974, 5.7l Diesel, 416 chassis. 11' high, awesome teak and oak "apartment". Greywater marine toilet. Propane stove/ oven. 120/12V refrigerator. 12 A solar panel set. 660AH dual battery system. ~150 ltr Diesel Tanks 20Gal water and the list goes on and on. Registered in Germany.

Top Speed (comfortable) 50MPH Top speed (uncomfortable) 57MPH. Will climb 100% grade ~35 degree tilt No wimpy 1/4" winch. This has a 12mm winch system PTO based. and of course all the accoutrements that have made Unimogs famous.

The flatground highway fuel economy is 16mpg.

If you had to toodle off to Tierra del Fuego, this would do it.

Bigger than a syncro westie, smaller than a 23' Motorhome, with awesome character and reliability and field maintainability. But you gotta like a manly ride and not be in a hurry. One doesn't pass anything on pavement in this conveyance but can pass anything off road with 4 wheels. (Motos, M113s excluded)

Now David, how do we import a unimog diesel?

pensioner