Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 25 Nov 2000 13:29:07 -0500
From:         Bradley Flubacher <flubach@HOME.COM>
Subject:      Where would YOU leak?

I just returned from a round trip of about 350 miles from DE. I thought I smelled coolant at one point during the trip but I chalked it up as my imagination. I turns out, I wasn't off the mark. (Unrelated-? I've smelt that infamous maple syrup smell too. )

I tracked down a leak of coolant. It seems to be oozing out of my passenger side front, top head bolt. This scares the heck out of me after hearing so much about "waterleakers". I'm coming from a diesel background with VW's. I'm really hoping I didn't buy myself into a money hole.. I just finished putting in a "new" transaxle, new exhaust system, and many other little things. All said and done, I've spent about $3k on this guy so far. It's in wonderful shape.

Should be just a coincidence, but I also just changed and flushed the cooling system. I put in an orage prestone extended life product in a grey bottle. (I think it was prestone. It came recommended by someone on this list). While I had the system drained, I removed a section of the hard return line and replaced it with a couple of soft peices from NAPA. I did this all at the same time as the exhaust. I really don't think I disturbed anything while doing this work. I didn't take a hammer to it or anything "crazy" like that.

To the best of my knowledge, this is a brand new problem for my relatively "new to me" vanagon-

So tell me, what the easiest fix for this? Is this a coolant leak that is common? I hope you give me a nice easy solution.

Thanks in advance, say a prayer for me, Bradley Flubacher State College, PA