Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 25 Nov 2000 21:09:47 +0100
From:         Jan Willem Brier <jan@HRPS.NL>
Subject:      Rust in lower side panel Vanagon '80

Today I helped a fellow Vanagon owner asses the extent of the rust on his drivers side panels. It was bad..... There is very little if any solid material left where the rocker panel is supposed to be. The bottom of the side panel is just dangling loose. Water behind the sink/fridge unit has probably rusted out everything.

Since the rest of the van is in reasonable condition (actually looks quite good from 20 feet away) we made plans to replace the lot. Everything from the lower window frame and down. I have access to the VW ETKA CD so we printed the diagrams and part numbers of everything we need to replace. This is going to be a major task for two guys with some experience but not a lot. But it appears it is doable. Has anyone on this list ever done the same thing?

One thing I could not make out from the sketchy drawings on the CD is how the rocker (inner/outer, reinforcing strips etc) exactly fits together and to the cargo-floor of the van. Ideally I would like to see a cross section drawing of how it's supposed to be. Is there anyone who can clarify?

(note: Please cc me directly as I'm in digest mode).

TIA

Jan W Brier My buses on http://www.hrps.demon.nl/jwbus