Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 25 Nov 2000 16:15:59 -0800
From:         Zach Kaplan <zakaplan@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: volvo(volkswagen)5cyl (LT)

> They are big and have all the things the vanagon westy does not. There was > a 1982 LT28D westfalia diesel for sale in alberta, canada last summer, about > $3500 us. Very good condition. But driving it was more than I could bear. > It was by far the slowest thing on the road, including 18 wheel trucks. Much > slower than the diesel vanagon. Very very high roof with flat sides and > tiny 14" tires made it dangerous on the highway. Even in very light winds > the thing felt like it was going into the ditch at any moment. It had a 5 > speed, first gear was similar to a sincere low, but in this case you used > it just to get off the line. I would have bought it in an instant, but it > is just not made for north american driving conditions (1982 diesel anyway). > You need more than 80 hp to move something that weighs almost three times as > much as the vanagon westy. > > Gary Lee

The LT28 doesn't weigh almost three times as much as a Vanagon. The two numerals after LT refer to the gross vehicle weight. The LT28 was the lightest weight model with a gross vehicle weight of 2800kg. As I recall the Vanagon/Transporter had a GVW of 2400kg. The LT series was made in various weight ratings up to I believe the LT55. I don't have my mid-1980s LT brochure here at the moment. I do have the 1999 LT brochure (totally different front engine van based on the Mercedes Sprinter) and that shows the different versions ranging from LT28 to LT55.

It seems to me like 80 horse power would be adequate for a 2.8 tonne vehicle and a higher power to weight ratio than an 18 wheel truck at 33.3 horsepower per tonne. A typical 38 tonne truck might have 350 horsepower for a power to weight ratio of 9.2 horsepower per tonne. The problem is most cars and light trucks, especially in North America are overpowered and people like to take advantage of that power in accelerating fast and maintaining the same speed onn a long grade as on level ground. They are not expecting a light van like vehicle to be going so slow while it is expected large trucks will be slow accelerating and slow going on long grades. I used to have this problem when I had a Vanagon diesel and people behind me would get impatient probably wondering why I was going so slow. Still it was adequate power and I think motorists in general are too obsessed with speed and not concerned enough about fuel efficiency. It would be nice to have a turbo or a larger 5 or 6 cylinder engine in their for occassional fast acceleration situations but not really necessary.

I believe the 2383cc turbodiesel option in the LT put out 106 horsepower. This same engine in the Volvo 740 TD Intercooler put out 116 horsepower and in the Volvo 780 TD Intercooler it put out 122 horsepower.

As far as the handling problem goes I think that was due mostly to the high roof extension of the Westfalia version. A normal LT van without extended roof is not much taller than a Vanagon and about the size of a full size Ford Econoline van. I haven't driven one but I have been a passenger in an LT doublecab flatbed truck and it seemed plenty stable and able to keep up with traffic.

Do you know what ever happened to that LT28 that was for sale for $3500? If I found one in good condition that could be registered in California I'd buy it in an instant.

Zach Kaplan