Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 22 Nov 2000 16:01:57 +1100
From:         Stephen Overmyer <s.overmyer@UWS.EDU.AU>
Subject:      Post Mortem (Was Return of the Waserleaker)

Volks,

For anybody interested,here's the post mortem for my '92 WBX that turned into a steam engine last week with only 58,500 &*%$ing kms since fitting 2 new AMC heads.

I simply didn't have the time to tackle this myself at present so I took the van to my trusted VW chaps from whom I purchased the thing when new.As it turned out,probably good that I did...

The head for #3 & 4 cylinders was the culprit,not the gasket as I'd hoped for.The head appears to have suffered an internal crack allowing coolant into the combustion chamber. The crack could not be seen,however since #4 cylinder was as clean as a whistle,there's not much doubt there's a crack somewhere in there that just got a lot worse.

Given that the head is only a little over 2 years old with <60k kms it is being sent back to the Aus.supplier of AMC heads in the US where it will be X-rayed to get to the bottom of this. We are hoping to get some sort of warranty out of them or at least a pro-rata re-imbursement for the head and hopefully labour costs. Dunno what the chances are (esp.labour)but it can't hurt to try.

While the van was in the shop,it was also put under a pressure test which also exposed a small leak from the water pump and also from a plastic elbow fitting on the RH side of the block. Given that the water pump had over 160,000kms on it (it was replaced under warranty when the van only had about 30k kms on it) I was getting a bit paranoid about how long it was going to last,especially with summer just around the corner here in the southern hemisphere and the fact I have a 3000km round trip coming up,driving up to the tropical north of Queensland to play at a folk festival right at Xmas time.So replacing it now was a good thing. Y'know,for some funny reason I really didn't want to be stranded on Xmas day,miles from a trusted VW mechanic with a failed water pump and none to be accessed for days,or cooking the engine and missing the festival (I know,call me old fashioned and unadventurous...:) Also,the plastic elbow that was leaking has been replaced with a new metal one.Hopefully that takes care of that problem(touch wood)

I'm still rather p'd off with AMC heads but if I end up with some kind of partial reimbursement I'll be somewhat happier.I think I've probably just been unlucky however as this van is kept in very good nick with all recommended servicing attended to religiously and never been over heated....ever.Hopefully I just ended up with the one that slipped thru quality control,but now I'm paranoid about the other side.

The good thing at least is that I had been concerned for a while now regarding the slow mysterious coolant loss which occasionally set off the blinking light,yet never sucked in more coolant from the expansion tank (which remained full) so to have finally had the slow leak turn into an obvious failure before leaving me stranded at least brought things to a head (as it were...)

May the rest of you out there with AMC heads have better luck.They are supposed to be reliable heads (please tell me it is so!) I've gotta try to start liking water cooling again.My aircooleds have never given me that much grief...:(

Cheers, Steve O. '92 Transporter WBX Kombi '76 Transporter Double Cab '68 Beetle '00 Transporter 5Cyl Double cab '48 Fairmont M19 speeder