Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 26 Nov 2000 09:19:30 -0500
From:         Lawrence Johnson <larry_avery.johnson@SYMPATICO.CA>
Subject:      Re: [subaruvanagon] Chatter Source Found
Comments: To: subaruvanagon@egroups.com

Ed

> When removing one of the axles trans oil > started pouring out of the drive flange shaft. I've never had that > problem before. Looks like the oil washed a lot of the grease out of > the c/v also. Now I have to locate the right tools to replace the > seal.

No special tools are necessary. Just clean the differential seal face very well to remove any oil film where the seal seats. Clean the seal equally well and sparingly apply silicone gasket sealant (I used the red, oil resistant, high temp stuff in a tube) to the gasket around its perimeter. Now with your thumb press the seal onto the differential until it seats uniformly. Expect some sealant to squeeze out. Leave it like that for 24 hours at comfortable temperature before reattaching the half shaft.

Yes the CV joint needs to be repacked.

It is important to know why the seal let go so as to avoid a repeat. In my case the CV joint was so bad that the shaft was banging in and out and eventually sucked the seal off (thanks to the vanagon List for diagnosing that for me). The other possibility is a plugged transmission breather tube. If it is plugged, the heated vapors in the transmission could push the seal off.

> Guess I better do both sides while I'm at it.\

It is easy to check the seal on the other side but if it is ok, I'd leave it alone.

Good luck. -Larry