Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 26 Nov 2000 23:25:01 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <inua@HIWAAY.NET>
Subject:      Re: Digitool building and group entertainment.
Comments: To: JKrevnov@AOL.COM

For the future, if you want to have some control over heating of the iron, you might want to try this. I use one of these tools all the time n my art work. I work a great deal with wax sculpture, and this tool is very handy.

Tools and materials 1) one shallow metal two-gang electrical outlet box 2) one duplex female electrical receptacle ( will accept to electric plugs) 3) one household dimmer control rated at 1500 watts. Push on-Push off type. 4) one metal cover that will accept the duplex receptacle on one side and the dimmer control on the other. 5) a length of three-wire electrical cord for the power...16 ga or so. About like a heavy garage type extension cord. 6) one male plug to go on the end of the cord. Be sure to use a 3 prong grounded type. 7) night light fixture - small male type that simply plugs directly into the receptacle.

Assemble the duplex receptacle and the dimmer switch into the box, with the the cord wired to the dimmer switch, and the switch wired to the receptacle. BE sure the ground wire is in place (usually green in color).

Plug the small night light into one of the receptacle holes. Plug the soldering iron into the other receptacle, Put the power cord for the box into the wall receptacle. Push the dimmer switch down to turn the assembly. The small night light should light up.

To regulate the power to the soldering iron, and therefore the heat output, simply turn the dimmer knob one way for hot and the other way for cooler temperatures. When you do, the small light will get brighter or dimmer depending on how much resistance is presented. This reflects how hot or how cool the iron will be. Bright lite---very hot. Dim light --- Cooler.

If you really wanted to get with the program, you could probably rig some sort of LED into it to show actual temp, but I never bothered to go that far.

As I said, this tool has served me well.

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver