Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 27 Nov 2000 04:16:31 EST
From:         Robert Keezer <WarmerWagen@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: I have lots of luck..and it's all bad!

Chris, I trust you now-when I first got my diesel Westfalia in 1995, I hooked up the vacuum evap system lines up wrong to the charcoal canister, (evap system was added when converted to gas engine). It sucked the tank down to a size that would take only 5 gallons (18.9 liters) With my one gallon can in hand, I walked to the station, got a gallon, went back to the van. I drove down to the same station, and started to fill the tank. I hadn't yet looked at the tank. One of the vent lines somehow came loose and gasoline began pouring all over by the bucketful under the van, then downhill towards the store. Luckily, a pump repairman was there with stuff to absorb the spill. There was a lot of gas on the ground- I saw the tank-it was half of it's normal size. To make the experience worse, the store manager came out yelling that I was losing him customers that were waiting in line (there were none) Nothing I could say to him did he respond to- I wasn't about to start the vehicle above all of that spilled gasoline. When I went in the store, his wife had to interpret to him what I was saying. ( I think) He just kept on yelling. If that ever happens again I am just going to call the fire department.

Robert

1982 Westfalia 1983.5 Sunroof Vanagon 1980 Westfalia

[text/html]