Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 27 Nov 2000 09:19:02 -0500
From:         Derek Drew <derekdrew@RCN.COM>
Subject:      Re: LT--Possible Source of Heavy Duty Brakes

The 16" syncro vanagon in Europe uses the rear brakes from the LT.

Possibly if they use these brakes on the Freightliner vehicles then the upgraded, heavy duty rear brakes will be available here in North America at less expense than otherwise.

At 09:37 PM 11/26/00 -0800, you wrote: > > Does anybody know if the LT28s came with one piece windshields? I saw > > pictures on this one ands I see a seam in the middle of the windshield. > > > > BenT > >All the LTs came with one piece windshields though I do seem to recall >seeing a custom armoured money transport van based on one in a mid-1980s VW >catalogue that had a split windshield, probably for the bullet proof glass. > >In the late 1980s and early 1990s Kenworth and Peterbuilt sold medium weight >trucks in the US that used LT cabs from VW do Brazil. I climbed up on one of >these outside a truck dealer back then and all the cab details where very VW >right down to the markings on the glass and the window winder cranks. I >don't know why they stopped selling them. I haven't seen one on the road for >five years or so. > >I just learned some interesting news for LT fans. The Mercedes Sprinter van >which shares the same body and some mechanicals as the LT is going into >production at one of Freightliner's factories. Freightliner is owned by >Daimler-Chrysler. This full size Mercedes van will go under the Freightliner >Sprinter name and will compete directly with full size Ford and GM vans in >North America. It may also replace the Dodge B-series full size vans which >are being discontinued for the 2002 season. The Sprinter is expected to be >available in the second quarter of 2001. Apparently FedEx is already testing >them out in certain areas. The engines aren't finalised yet but the >information I read mentioned a Mercedes 5-cylinder turbo direct injection >diesel being used that would give it 21 MPG city and 35 MPG highway. It will >both be far more economical than a US full size van and hold more inside. >There will be cargo and passenger versions. There will also probably be some >American V-8 engines available. A minor revision was done to the Sprinter to >lengthen the engine compartment to allow for larger engines. > >I think this is very exciting news. I've wanted to see European full size >vans attack the US market for some time and I've thought it would be a >natural for Freightliner to do it with Mercedes. Also the Dodge full size >van hadn't had a complete redesign since 1970 so it is good to see Daimler's >influence there in discontinuing this archaic vehicle and replacing it with >a modern European design. The factory in Canada that made the B-series van >will switch to producing a new SUV. > >Zach Kaplan

_______________________________________________ Derek Drew New York, NY CEO & Co-Founder http://www.ConsumerSearch.com/ 80 South Street, 2nd Floor New York, NY 10038 derekdrew@rcn.com 212-580-6486

Alternate numbers for the industrious phone caller that wants to try every avenue: 917-848-6425 (cell); 202-966-7907 (Work), 212-580-4459 (Home), 202-966-0938 (Home), 978-359-8533 (fax [efax]), 212-269-3428 (Seaport office), 212-269-3543 (Seaport main number).