Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 27 Nov 2000 07:22:27 -0800
From:         PSavage <psavage@SABER.NET>
Subject:      Waterboxer Mechanics in Mexico

Buenos dias Volks, Last evening I posted to www.mexconnect.com, asking for names of waterboxer mechanics in Mexico. Lo & behold--I've had two replies already! However, it appears my best chances for wrenching will be in/around the Americanized colonies, places I normally avoid, preferringinstead the experience of being the only "gringa" in the village. Phaedra '85 Westy-Wolfs

From: Blair and Carol Subject: Westy travel and mechanics in Mexico <snip> Hello; We moved down to Ajijic on Lake Chapala (60km from Guadalajara) about four months ago in our 1986 Westy. I figured that our water cooled Westy would be the perfect vehicle in Mexico because of the amount of VW's on the road down here....My local mechanic has advised that the water cooled engine in our vanagons never made it to Mexico, thus any parts for said must be imported at GREAT expense. Having said that I have seen at least 7 other water cooled Westfalias in our little village (all foreign plated) and have heard that Mexican mechanics are capable of rebuilding and/or making parts which are unavailable locally. By the way a week does not go by without someone asking if he or she can buy my van. <snip>

From: Dru Pearson Subject: Westy travel and mechanics in Mexico <snip>

I was delighted to see your post as I am also the proud owner of an '85 Vanagon. Last July I made the move from North Carolina to Mexico with a VERY fully loaded van and dog. I've had a few van problems, but have found almost every mechanic in Mexico can fix almost anything on a VW. One word of caution, in Patzcuaro, after my boyfriend had ruined the gear shifting mechanism, the mechanic used a Mexican part (forcing it on) when I needed an American part. He only charged me $13.00, but, then, the "correction" only lasted until I had to shift into reverse, too!

There's a great mechanic in Riberas (between Chapala and Ajijic) named Francisco who repaired the gear shift and rebuilt the starter (for $40), but he has no phone and no sign on his shop. I'll give you my phone number so if you have problems in this area, you can give me a call.

I also just found out about a fantastic mechanic in Jocotopec who even makes house calls. The woman who told me about him drives a '69 van and she swears by him. His name is Javier Francoa and his number is 013-451-8186. Best time to call is between 8-9:00 a.m.

If you've done some camping in Mexico, I'd love to hear about your experiences and recommendations. I'm planning to do some traveling in January. Also, if you get to Ajijic, do look me up. It's always a pleasure to talk to another Westy owner! <snip>