Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 27 Nov 2000 15:41:18 -0800
From:         Tobin Copley <tobin.copley@UBC.CA>
Subject:      Re: 5sp tranny drain & fill
Comments: To: Robin Oomkes <robin.oomkes@SWIFT.COM>

And a nagging question to add to Robin's question: is it acceptable to replace dino-based tranny oil with synthetic without completely draining the transmission of the old dino oil first? With the tranny in the car, and draining out the drain plug, some oil (as much as a litre?) is left inside. I understand the transmission case has to be turned upside down to get all of the old oil out.

So what's the deal? Okay to leave some dino in there and refill with synthetic?

T.

At 9:09 AM +0100 11/24/00, Robin Oomkes wrote: >On a side note: >I asked the VW dealer's to fill the tranny with synthetic oil but >they wouldn't >do it. They just use minerals, and even then they were reluctant to change the >gear oil "as it's not necessary"! > >Guess I'll do the drain and fill myself. Anyone ever done this on a 5speed >diesel transmission? Pitfalls? I think I know which orifices to use, >but what's >the best way to get the stuff from the can into the van? Thanks for any help.

-- ------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tobin Copley Bowen Island, BC, Canada 49deg 23'N-123deg 19'W

'82 Westfalia 1.6L NA diesel ("Stinky") '97 son Russell ============= '99 daughter Margaret /_| |_L| |__|:| clatter 1995: 'Round US, Mexico, Canada 15,000 mi {. .| clatter! 1996: Vancouver to Inuvik, NWT 7,400 km ~-()-==----()-~ Previous buses: '76 westy deluxe (Daisy), '76 westy standard (Mango) http://www.sfu.ca/~tcopley/vw/