Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 22 Nov 2000 14:09:00 -0500
From:         Joe Romas <jromas@COLUMBUS.RR.COM>
Subject:      Re: cold run problems
Comments: To: James Creech <jacreech@VISUALLINK.COM>

James,

I know you said various temperatures but have you checked temp two sensor when it's stone cold? Also is it possible the ECU can't compensate enough for when the engine is cold? I don't know how these work but my 84 with missing ECU has symptoms just like yours when it's cold.

Joe

----- Original Message ----- From: James Creech To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Wednesday, November 22, 2000 12:59 PM Subject: cold run problems

OK, a Th'giving mystery for you sharp vanagon sleuths to discern, while I remind myself I really am thankful for my vanagon! Here are the facts, as I know them: a.. idles (about 800 rpm) and accelerates well when warm - plenty of pep and smooth rpms b.. when cold, takes 3 or 4 starts or lots of accelerator to prevent stalling out - until warm enough) - will run after a start for about 5 sec., then plunge into stall c.. just before cold weather got new plugs, wires, distributor, air filter, O2 sensor, coolant flush and fill (mechanic friend did all) d.. within specs tests / adjustment (per Bentley) on throttle valve switch, idle speed control valve, air flow meter, temp 2 sensor (my testing on all - TVS adjusted, ISCV hums, vibrates and has correct resistance, AFM and temp 2 sensor all have correct resistance readings) e.. throttle body and other main air passages and hoses clean and snug f.. vacuum system looks ok so far, though I've not yet found every hose and component I don't see any compelling reason to suspect the idle control unit or ECU, especially since idle and normal run is good once warm. It is only a cold start and cold run problem. What else could it be? Could one or more of the components I've tested still be bad in spite of passing the tests? e.g., temp 2 sensor would seem a likely culprit (as some of you have suggested), but could it be bad if it gives good resistance readings at various coolant (engine) temperatures? I would think not. Hope it's not something more exotic. I have NOT done any CO tests (not having the equipment) or output voltage readings.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated (and make my Thanksgiving more thankful!).

Jim Creech 87 Westy GL 2.1 79k miles, 2nd owner

[text/html]