Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 27 Nov 2000 22:10:47 -0500
From:         "Horace K. Sawyer" <firestream@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject:      Re: Any lawyers out there? (Bad Machanic)-- solution
Comments: To: Bill Davidson <wdavidson@THEGRID.NET>

Bill, True on the $200.00 not being worth going to court. BUT, the thief committed a crime. Two hundred, or two thousand, it was theft.

Bill, if it were you or I, *we* would already be in jail and have to make bond. These scumbags walk all the time because nobody will go after them. They have become fearless.

Its time we do something about these thieves.

Has the victim forfeited his rights by making this deal to get back $210? Let's see, thief already had the converted property, our guy wasn't in much of a bargaining position. Our victim did not receive any consideration (in the legal sense) to make this new agreement legally binding and enforceable. Moreover, the subject matter of the "new agreement" was illegal; i.e., a theft. It is generally illegal in all states to make a civil agreement to gain leverage one way or another in a criminal matter. This is exactly what the thief did. To me it tends to show guilt. The agreement is null and void, and can be used as evidence against thief in criminal trial.

I hope our victim vigorously pursues his rights with his local police.

HK (this is purely off-the-cuff, and may not apply) but it probably is right on the money

[text/html]