Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 28 Nov 2000 11:33:44 EST
From:         Mark Smith <CyrusWV@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Report On Oil Pump Replacement Project: 87GL

After carefully considering the sage advice offered by this list on oil pump replacement, I completed the project Saturday night. Thus far the results are quite favorable and may be of some interest to those of you with less than optimum oil pressure.

I decided not to use the high volume pump purchased from Bus Depot as this could mask underlying bearing problems (per Stewart) or cause leakage and consumption problems (per Dennis). Instead I simply rebuilt the original pump with a new stock plate and gear from my local VW dealer. Surprisingly the cost for these new parts was less than $20.00.

The job is a rather difficult one with the 2.1 litre engine. It requires removing the muffler, large heat shield, engine mounting bracket and etc. Also, the engine must be supported once the mounting bracket is removed. I had previously planned to replace the muffler and tailpipe so this was an excellent opportunity to accomplish both missions. It is also a good opportunity to replace a few of those difficult to access coolant hoses.

I was not surprised to find noticeable wear on both the old plate and gear after 152,000 miles. I had seen this on many air cooled beetle engines in the past. However, I was a little surprised at the improvement in oil pressure which resulted from the rebuild.

Since oil pressure is very much a temperature dependent phenomenon it difficult to make meaningful measurements without an oil temperature gauge. Nonetheless, I have observed a 2 to 3 psi improvement at idle (now 10-12 psi after extended driving) and about 10 psi improvment at highway speeds (now 40 psi).

This gives me new confidence for my upcoming trip to Florida in December!

Mark Smith 87 GL West Virginia