Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 22 Nov 2000 22:17:54 -0600
From:         Anthony Kimmons <akimmons@HOUSTON.RR.COM>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon Customization
Comments: To: TieDye <boomin@EPIX.NET>

87 GL Vanagon Weekender.

I'm in the middle of a complete interior re-do. Re-built the engine last year. I've pulled everything out of the back. Hand scrubbed the seats and carpets. Sandblasted and repainted the seat and bed frames in back. Still have some stains on the carpet and am looking for a source for new carpets. The seats are in good shape, but there are a few tiny (seed) holes I would like to get fixed.

Bought one of the front mats from Wet Westies not too long ago. Real happy with that. Looks and fits good as a mat, but I would still like to replace the whole carpet underneath.

This past weekend I tore out my headliner and the old insulation/padding on the roof. Replaced with foil backed insulation from JC Whitney. I've already done this on all the walls, topping the foil back insulation with some regular R-11 from Home Depot. I spray mounted a plastic vapor barier on top of that before replacing the side panels. (It gets damn hot here in Texas and I wanted to spend a lot of time and money on insulation.) This has also made the van somewhat quieter...I wish I could have afforded the stick on sound dampening pads that JC sells...They are pretty steep though. I plan on putting the foil back insulation on the floor also.

For the front carpet pad...Mine was starting to crack and didn't look like it would last a lot longer, so I coated the backside of it with plastic roofing cement and fiberglass tape, then, while it was still tacky, I burnished aluminum foil onto it for insulation. I don't know how this will hold up, but it made the carpet pad much more sturdy feeling. I don't know if I will do this in back or not...I may just used the foil backed roll insulation...

I'm now thinking about replacing the headliner completely, although I've never done this type of work. I'm going to put some poly fill between the new headliner and foil insulation to add some more cushion and insulation. I've seen a plain black cotton canvas material that is used in some new beetles that I like...we'll see about the cost though... This is all new to me...

Other interior work planed is: New metal fleck window film. (Anyone know a source for top quality window film on line? I'm gonna have to pop the windows out for the headliner anyway...might as well do this myself...) Removed entire A/C inside. Will be purchasing many new parts and switching over to the 134. Also want this to be in top shape for next summer...I've figured I can purchase all the parts and tools I need to do the work myself for less than the $1000 dollars it cost me to have it fixed 2 years ago...when all they did was replace a hose and refill the freon. Possibly (depending on the price) recovering the wall panels and maybe cutting out new panels altogether... New speakers for sure... 2nd battery and inverter perhaps... I may be adding some new or more interior lights also, and maybe a curtain...

Always looking for ideas and sources of cool things for the inside, if you know of any. thanks -Tony