Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2000, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 30 Nov 2000 13:06:44 -0600
From:         HERMANN DE BOER <hdeboer@BSSD.NET>
Subject:      Re: Towing Across The USA!
Comments: To: John Klun <jklun@GJ.NET>

I used to tow my 19' West Wight Potter sailboat with my Westy. Fully loaded about 1500lbs. The VW pulled it out of the water w/o problems. Used to amaze all those Ford Diesel p/u guys at our lake.

Cheers, Hermann de Boer 87 Westy GL

-----Original Message----- From: John Klun To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: 11/30/00 12:17 PM Subject: Re: Towing Across The USA!

Hi Volks!-

Let me add that my wife and I moved from Virginia Beach, VA to Concord, NH in 1969. We towed the largest single axle enclosed U-Haul trailer behind a 1968 VW Squareback (Type 3). My wife was pregnant at the time and had to sit cross-legged on the passenger's seat. We had the back seat folded down and the SB was totally loaded to the point stuff would occasionally fall into the front or hit our heads. . The trailer was so loaded that when we opened the door at our destination, our stuff fell out. The trip took 19 hours straight, stopping only for gas and food. We averaged about 20 mpg; up some hills we had to downshift and were barely able to make it at 35 mph; down some hills we actually had to speed up to keep from jackknifing- at one point we did 80 mph!

2 1/12 years ago, we moved from NH to CO. I came out first and I drove our '86 Jetta GL- loaded to the gills- pulling an enclosed 5x8 U-Haul single axle trailer. This trip was over 2200 miles and the Jetta was incredible! I average nearly 20 mpg for the entire trip, maintained around 55-60mph on the 'flats' and when an 18 wheeler passed me- I could get up to around 65-67mph.

I thought the true test of my trip out would be Highway 50- a 2 lane twisting and curving highway west from Colo Springs to Gunnison over 11,800' Monarch Pass- in February. I had absolutely no problem on the winding and curving part. I kept the Jetta in 4th gear and had no problem maintaining and average of around 50 mph. When it came to Monarch Pass, I down shifted to 3rd and kept it at a steady 35 mph. The Jetta just kept going and going and... On top of Monarch it had snowed but the Jetta had no problem maintaining traction. On the way down the other side, I maintained 3rd gear and lightly tapped the brakes now and then until I cleared the snow. I had absolute confidence in the Jetta and not once on the trip did the load or the Jetta fishtail.

When I reached my destination, all I did was change the oil!