Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2000, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 30 Nov 2000 21:01:25 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <inua@HIWAAY.NET>
Subject:      Re: '85 1.9L Lifter Knocking
Comments: To: Chad <groch@WORLDCHAT.COM>

Chad, I had an '85 GL and it did the same thing. After sitting for a few days one lifter would loose it's prime and go flat. On startup, it would clatter like the very devil. Was always a little scary until I fully understood what was happening. ALL if the van engines that are 1.9 or 2.1 L are subject to this flat lifter syndrome. They are very twitchy. Even my 88 GL with a relatively new engine does it once in a while.It always pumps up in a bit and all is well.One thing, you must have a proper oil filter or you will be plagued with this problem and the oil pressure light will be coming on. I run Mahle filters exclusively. It has the right spring pressure setting in the filter. Nothing else works as well for me.

Change the oil, put in a Mahle filter (Get from Ken or Ron) and go for it. Most likely the problem will clear up.

Good luck.

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver

Chad wrote:

> I have recently acquired a 1985 Vanagon GL. After having replaced a > large list of parts I have one last thing (I hope) that I'm concerned > about. While running there is knocking noise in the engine. I was told > that it may be a problem with one of the lifters. If this is the case > (which I don't know for sure) how big of a job is it to replace the > lifter at fault???The van has not been running in 3 months due to a > busted clutch. Once I got that replaced and back together I noticed a > crack in the engine coolant overflow bottle. So I'm not able to run > the engine for too long until the overflow bottle is replaced > (tomorrow). Any ideas that the lifter is possibly screwed??? Are > there some other things I should do once I get the leak fixed and > engine going??? Is this common with the Vanagons???thanks,Chad

[text/html]