Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2000, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 29 Nov 2000 13:56:05 -0500
From:         "Koloski, John G." <jkoloski@GPO.GOV>
Subject:      Re: Tiico Conversion
Comments: To: John Andrew <johna@telluridecolorado.net>

http://tiico.com/wiring.htm says (in part):

"Remove the old 02 sensor wire from your old harness. Purchase a wire with ECU connectors from a dealer 000 979 131. You will splice this wire into the old 02 harness to the ECU. The green wire from your old 02 harness goes to pin 38 using 000 979 131. Ground can go to the main chassis ground and your red/yellow power wire can go to the #15 connector on your coil. Done."

It's a cut and paste job. I'm going to do it, but first I'm going to get the van running without it so I can drive down to the VW dealership and buy the part #000 979 131. I've been without a car for several weeks. My van is a 1990.

The Tiico website also says, " For 1983 - 1985 you must purchase the late 02 sensor. Bosch # 13931."

The difference between a two wire O2 sensor and a 3 wire O2 sensor is that the 3 wire sensor has a heating element to warm it up so it works while your engine is still cold. The heating element is what the third (red/yellow) wire is for. A two wire O2 sensor depends on exhaust heat to warm it up. All O2 sensors work the same way. The signal is the same (green wire to the computer). It's just that the computer sees a signal sooner with a heated sensor (less pollution at warm up).

Here's a link on O2 sensors: http://www.hglmotors.co.uk/main/ts/ls.shtml

An interesting thing about O2 sensors is that the SIGNALS ARE ALL THE SAME. Just as all lead-acid cells are 2 volts (a 12 volt battery has 6 cells wired in series). All carbon-zinc cells are 1.5 volts. All Ni-Cd cells are 1.2 volts. It's a simple electro-chemical reaction (no magic). Maybe that is the magic.

Good luck with your conversion! Call me if you have questions (Like how did I lift the engine in?) 410-551-1121

Regards

John Koloski

(presently walking)

-----Original Message----- From: John Andrew [mailto:johna@telluridecolorado.net] Sent: Wednesday, November 29, 2000 12:04 PM To: Koloski, John G. Subject: Re: Re: Tiico Conversion

Hi John,

I wonder what year vanagon you are doing this conversion on? I just got my kit yesterday and I have an 84. I understand there are a few differences in years and am looking for someone who has done my year.

Thanks, John Andrew 1984 Westy

P.S. Did you get the O2 sensor hook up? -----Original Message----- From: Koloski, John G. <jkoloski@GPO.GOV> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Date: Wednesday, November 29, 2000 9:11 AM Subject: Re: Tiico Conversion