Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2000, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 29 Nov 2000 01:43:58 -0500
From:         delavan61@HOTMAIL.COM
Subject:      BioStock News

Nov 17, 2000 * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Investors Spotlight by Looknofurther * * * * * * * * * * * * Bioenvision.co.uk (BIOV.OB)

BIOENVISION READIES LEAD PRODUCT LAUNCH

Reports Substantive Progress On Four Platform Technologies

BIOENVISION INC. - OTCBB Symbol: BIOV.OB

In a recent press release President & CEO Chris Wood commented, "The global anti-cancer therapy market, presently valued at approximately $16 billion, is poised for considerable further growth. We believe this market will double in the next 4 years. This expansion will be driven by innovative new therapies which should dramatically improve control over the disease. During the past fiscal year, we made substantive progress developing our four platform technologies. We intend marketing our breast cancer drug, Modrefen, in 2001. This product will compete in the market-place with drugs such as Genentech's (NYSE:DNA - news) Herceptin but it's novel mode of action puts it in a specific therapeutic niche. Extensive clinical trials showed that Modrefen is effective in up to 55% of patients with breast cancer who relapse after hormone therapy with drugs such as Astra Zeneca's (NYSE:AZN - news) Tamoxifen."

Dr. Wood continued, "During the next 12 months we intend to find a co-development partner for our anti-leukemia agent, Clofarabine. This drug is in Phase II clinical trials and early results are encouraging. This product will compete with Fludarabine, which is marketed in the USA by Berlex, a subsidiary of Schering AG (717200D) and Pentotatin which is marketed by Supergen (NASDAQ:SUPG - news). We continue to make substantive progress on our Gene Therapy platform. In the past year the team added a second gene to the vector and conducted successful pre-clinical trials. The results have confirmed the ability of the vector to transfer DNA to skeletal muscle and for release of gene product into the blood stream. In an earlier clinical trial, with the albumin gene attached to the vector, patients with low serum albumin levels due to end-stage liver disease, had serum levels returned to the normal range after treatment. We believe that these agents have considerable commercial possibilities."

Company Overview

Bioenvision is a development-stage, biopharmaceutical company primarily engaged in the development of products and technologies for the treatment of cancer. Bioenvision has acquired development, manufacturing and marketing rights to four technologies from which a range of products have been derived and from which additional products may be developed in the future. Bioenvision aims to continue developing its existing platform technologies, acquire additional technologies and products with multiple uses, and commercialize products for the multi-billion dollar cancer treatment market.

Bioenvision expects to begin marketing Trilostane for the treatment of post-menopausal breast cancer on a commercial scale in the United States and Europe in the second quarter of 2001. The product is already FDA-approved in the United States for another use. Bioenvision plans to apply to use the drug in the United States for treatment of hormone sensitive cancers, such as breast cancer and advanced prostrate cancer. In addition, three of the other products and technologies to which Bioenvision has acquired rights are presently being tested in clinical trials, and an additional eight are in the pre-clinical stage of development. Assuming the successful completion of clinical trials, Bioenvision anticipates that by the end of 2002, five of Bioenvision's products and technologies will have received regulatory approval for specific disease (primarily cancer) treatment indications in the United States or Europe and seven will be in the final stages of the clinical trial process.

Bioenvision has had discussions with potential development partners over the past year and plan to continue to explore the possibilities for co-development and sub-licensing. Bioenvision expects to enter into a co-development agreement for at least one of our products within the next few months although there can be no assurances that any such agreement will be reached.

Bioenvision is also working on a fourth group of compounds that act as cytostatic agents by stopping the growth of cancer cells. There are at least three potential products in this category, one of which is set for a Phase I clinical trial in the coming year. These compounds are at an early stage of development but the Company expects these agents to fill the product pipeline for the future.

In March 2000, Bioenvision recieved an equity investment of $2 million from Bioaccelerate BVI, a Swiss-based investment company which enabled the Company to move ahead in its business plan during 2000. Bioaccelerate has an option to invest an additional $4 million in the Company and that investment relates to certain milestones in the coming 12 months.

Product Portfolio

The following is a description of Bioenvision's current portfolio of technologies, products and products in development.

Product / Disease intended / Current stage /Anticipated Time to be treated of Development Until Marketed

Cancer Treatment --------------------------------------------------------------------- Modrefen / Breast cancer / At market / - - - Abetafen / Prostate cancer / Phase II trials / 2 years Clofarabine / Leukemia, Lymphoma / Phase II trials / 18 months Clofarabine / Solid tumors / Phase I trials / 2 years Cytostatics / Bladder cancer / Phase I trials / 3 years RA inhibitor / Leukemia / Pre-clinical / 4 years Hormone blocker / Prostate cancer / Pre-clinical / 4 years

Gene Therapy -------------------------------------------------------------------- Product 1 / Leukemia / Phase I, II / 3 years Product 2 / Cancer support / Phase I, II / 3 years

Non-Cancer Applications -------------------------------------------------------------------- Trilostane / Cushing's disease / At market / - - - Trilostane / Alzheimer's disease / Pre-clinical / 2 years Clofarabine / Transplantation / Phase I trials / 3 years Gene Therapy / Vaccines, Cirrhosis, Diabetes, MS / R & D / 5 years

HISTORY The Company was founded by Chris Wood and financed by Kevin Leech, who were responsible for the first two public biotech companies in Europe in 1987, being Medeva plc and ML Laboratories plc respectively.

STRATEGIC RELATIONSHIPS London School of Pharmacy University of Cardiff National Institute of Cancer, Bari, Italy University College, London MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas Southern Research Institute, Alabama Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Institute, New York Imperial College, London

STRATEGY Bioenvision's strategy is to license and acquire products ready for clinical trials or at a late stage of development, and to use the expertise of Bioenvision's management to take the products through clinical trials and to commercially position the products for today's marketplace.

Bioenvision will establish an oncology sales force for the North American market while establishing a joint venture sales force in Europe.

This will give Bioenvision the ability to distribute products from Bioenvision's own pipeline as well as products from other biotech companies looking for a dedicated oncology distribution chain.

IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER ------------------------------------------------------------------ Looknofurther is an independent electronic publication providing information on selected public companies.

Any company profiled by Looknofurther pays cash or stock consideration for the electronic dissemination of the company's information for a specified time period and/or our comments about the company and/or our development of the company's website. Section 17 (b) of the Securities Act of 1933 requires that Looknofurther fully disclose the type consideration (i.e. cash, free trading stock, restricted stock, resrticted stock with regisrtation rights, stock options, stock warrants, or other type consideration) and the specific amount of the consideration our company receives or will receive, directly or indirectly, from an issuer, underwriter or dealer.

No information contained in this publication should be considered as a solicitation to purchase or sell the securities of the profiled companies.

Looknofurther is not a registered investment advisor or a registered securities broker dealer. We do not undertake or represent to make investment reccomendations or advise pertaining to the purchase or sale of the securities mentioned in our publications. The information contained within our publications are carefully compiled by Looknofurther based on our sources that we believe to be reliable. Looknofurther, however, does not quarantee the accuracy of any information contained in our publications. Looknofurther, moreover, does not endorse independently verify, or assert the truthfullness or reliablility of any statements or data made by us or the profiled companies in our publications. Investors should not rely solely on the information contained in our publications. Instead, investors should use the information provided on the profiled companies only as a starting point for conducting additional research that will permit them to form their own opinions regarding an investment in the profiled company's securities. The receipt of the information contained in our publications shall not create, under any circumstance, any implication that there has been no change in the affairs of the profiled company since the date of the profiled company press releases or other information disseminated via our publications.

The information contained in our publications may pertain to small cap and/or thinly traded securities which by there very nature involve an extremely high degree of risk. An investment in these type of securities could result in the loss of some or all an investment in the company. In addition, due to the illiquid nature of some of these securities, an investor may find or encounter difficulties liquidating the securities.

Looknofurther may liquidate the stock consideration it receives at any time it deems it appropriate to do so. The liquidation of our stock may have a negative impact on the securities of the company liquidated, including decreased market value and/or dilution of the company's securities.

The following company has agreed to pay Looknofurther to: distribute the company's information and reports in an email newsletter. Looknofurther has agreed to electronically disseminate this publication for $2000.