Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2000, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 29 Nov 2000 21:48:15 EST
From:         Rico Sapolich <JKrevnov@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: My heater stinks / Pointless Anecdote
Comments: To: firestream@mindspring.com

In a message dated 11/29/00 8:13:25 PM, firestream@MINDSPRING.COM writes:

<< I remember how happy I was when I switched to my new one, and got the whole area nice and clean, and healthier. >>

HK,

It has been a few years since the first time I realized that the sweet aroma coming from the defroster was not a Fudgsicle left behind by the previous owner's kid. Some say the first is always the best and that first whiff had an unusual overtone to it; an added dimension. When I tore into the heater box I found a leaking core, of course, and the nest of a field mouse who, I had to assume, did not go outside to urinate. Only if I had a scratch-and-sniff function key would I be able to adequately present the tangy commingling of those two components.

One day around the onset of winter of the next year, my wife opened the glovebox, screamed and then watched a field mouse scurry into the depths of the dashboard. In the glovebox she found a nest with four hairless, pink baby mice about the size of a newborn babe's thumb. Since I had been through this drill before, I mentioned it was time to get out the old Hav-a-Hart trap and I told her not to say anything to the kids! But, oh no, we couldn't trap the mother; who would take care of the babies?!! I tried to explain that a mouse running rampant in the van freely gnawing on the wiring could create the kind of electrical nightmare which I did not want to have in bed with me. That night, after she showed the baby mice to the kids (Oh! How cute!), I quietly slipped into the garage, baited the trap with peanut butter and placed it in the front of the van. The next morning, I found the trap gone and in its place a dish of food left by the Gerbil Food Fairy.

I tried to explain to my Sweetheart that I intended to reunite the babies with their loving mother once I had trapped her. Unfortunately, my wife had seen too many little critters mangled by the Ferris wheel mechanism of the Hav-a-Hart trap to believe that story. As you probably know, this kind of tug-of-war with a determined woman can lead to a divorce or worse, so I backed off. A couple of days later, the nest was gone. My wife was then able to smugly embrace this as proof that if you leave things alone, they will take care of themselves. She also thinks that a car can repair itself. She is happy and so am I because I now have something to ponder whenever the van is acting weird; like which gnawed upon wire is going to ground and where.

Rich