Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 3 Dec 2000 00:53:57 -0800
From:         John McLean <jaymac@INTERNETCDS.COM>
Subject:      unusual problem

Here's a new one! About 2 weeks ago while starting my van in the morning I turned the key and the starter engaged but the engine didn't light right up so I turned the key back with the intent to try again. However instead of the expected silence with the key in the off position I heard a loud humming sound coming from the engine compartment. I tried turning the ignition key back to the start position but nothing happened and the humming continued. I jumped out and went back to throw open the back hatch and engine cover and have a look but about that time the humming stopped. I then got back in the front and tried the ignition switch again and the engine started right up as usual.

I thought it might be a one time anomaly but then a couple days ago the same thing occurred when I came out of a store in town. I immediately jumped out and ran back to have a look. I got the lid off the engine and listened carefully. It turned out to be the starter motor spinning. I put my hand on it and could feel the thing spinning away. It was not engaged or grinding ; just spinning away. It continued for maybe 2 or 3 minutes and I was thinking about disconnecting the battery when again it stopped and I was able to start the engine and go on my way.

My question is : Does the power to the starter motor come entirely through the ignition switch thereby indicating my switch is bad? Or, is there a source of power to the starter motor independant of the ignition switch which may indicate an intermittent sticking contact. (note that the solenoid was not engaged during this phenomenon)

Thanks, John McLean 87 Vanagon GL