Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 1 Dec 2000 13:06:28 -0500
From:         Bulley <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM>
Subject:      Hilarious SUV news
Comments: To: Undisclosed <undisclosed@bulley-hewlett.com>

Today's SF Chronicle (paper) and SF Gate (on-line) have hilarious columns about SUVs. Read the SF Gate one on the web, as it's got some photos with amusing captions. http://www.sfgate.com/columnists/morford/ or, once that expires, http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/sfgate/object.cgi?object=/chronicle/pictur es/2000/11/30/suv-rollover.jpg&paper=chronicle&file=notes120100.DTL&dire ctory=/gate/archive/2000/12/01&type=columnists

www.sfgate.com Return to regular view Everybody In Tanks! No end in sight for the crush of thuggish SUV culture By Mark Morford, SF Gate Columnist Friday, December 1, 2000 (c)2000 SF Gate URL: http://www.sfgate.com/columnists/morford/

Here's an easy one: monster insurance company blindly and somewhat inexplicably slashes rates for bloated SUV behemoths because the road-tanks are considered relatively "safe"-despite how they roll quite easily and can't brake to save a cow and tend to crush smaller cars in even the most modest accident caused by incredibly bad handling and horrible wheelbase maneuverability and general innate 3-ton boorishness. And let's, just for the fun of it, also mention the pollution and the road destruction and the utter waste of space and resources and how unsightly and shoddily built the great majority of large SUVs are-stop me if you've heard this before-and how they seem to inspire far too many machismo-jacked drivers to careen about the freeway doing 85 but I guess you can't insure against bad taste and occasional thuggishness, as the old saying doesn't quite go. I've said it before and I'll say it probably a dozen more times-apparently just to further frustrate myself and get all frothy-because very, very few people can actually justify the existence of a large SUV in their lives, very few reasons exist to purchase the mutant monsters except that advertisers have convinced the public's inner frat-boy they're cool and everyone has one and it's basically another variant of All-American penis-envy: who has the bigger more obnoxious toy and who has the least concern for subtlety or efficiency or class or aesthetics-or treading lightly on the planet and leaving the least roadkill. Maybe that's unfair. Maybe that's unnecessarily nasty. Because the trucks really aren't so bad; their drivers not all cloddish males who wiggle their tongues at schoolgirls and spit out the window and never pluck their nose hairs. Hey, if you've got a construction job or a dozen kids and a dozen dogs and camping/skiing/biking gear out the wazoo, the elephantine beasts are downright heavenly, spacious and solid and at least passably rugged so when you run over the highway median or a small rodent or a Honda Civic you won't even feel it. Plus they're great in the snow (unless you have to stop) and quite fun to take off-road though according to statistics only .0001 of all SUV owners even know how to put their land-yachts into 4WD much less take their vehicles onto a dirt road but hey, it's nice to know if the Big One hits you'll be able to drive over all the rubble and writhing human bodies to get to the remaining cans of green beans. And now State Farm says insuring the colossal dinosaurs is cheaper and easier than ever, and thus buyers might feel even more incentive to rush right out and nab one of the fun-lovin' hulks so they too can discover just how poor their parallel parking skills really are. It's a conspiracy, you can be sure. Big Insurance in cahoots with Big Auto in cahoots with Big Oil, all with lecherous ties to the Bush family and probably the bottled drinking water scam and German fetish porn too but I can't prove any of that; it's all very complicated and goes to the highest levels of executive money-grubbing and is far too distressing and labor-intensive, research-wise, to fully investigate at this point, so I won't. But rest assured, it's all true. Mostly. Meanwhile, more SUV drivers get to lumber carelessly down the road and miscalculate those extra-wide turns on narrow SF streets and clog the cramped parking garages and steal double their allotment of street parking spaces: as the rest of us wait not-very-patiently for the backlash to really kick in, for the economy to slump and gas prices to stay high, and elegant little European cars with actual design ingenuity to become much more desirable someday, someday (he said, as a Ford Excursion loomed in the rear-view and blocked out the sun).

Thoughts for the author? Email him. Mark Morford's Notes & Errata column appears every Wednesday and Friday on SF Gate, just like a special magic bunny of love. He also writes the Morning Fix, a deeply skewed daily email column and newsletter. Subscribe at sfgate.com/newsletters/ (c)2000 SF Gate

and http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2000/1 2/01/MNW37057.DTL Big Wheels Will Rule S.F. Roads State Farm to decrease SUV insurance rates Rob Morse Friday, December 1, 2000 (c)2000 San Francisco Chronicle URL: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2 000/12/01/MNW37057.DTL The woman came barreling through the red light, almost leaving me flat in the crosswalk beneath her behemoth sports utility vehicle. That's bad enough, but par for the race course of San Francisco streets. She flipped me off with her well-manicured finger. That's worse, but expected. I had almost slowed her down on her way to Nordstrom. Besides, flipping off those you fail to kill is required by the rules of Bay Area driving. The worst, though? The woman's insurance rates will be going down. She's being rewarded because of how flat she can make me, while my crummy old fuel-efficient Honda Civic will cost more to insure because it isn't even a speed bump to her SUV. Now this woman can afford to make even more trips to Nordstrom, while I'll be making fewer trips to Target. Someday maybe she'll finally get that little silhouette of a pedestrian painted on the side of her battlewagon, and maybe it will be mine. What do we expect from insurance companies, the people who gave America the HMO and all of us a bad case of HMOphobia? State Farm has decided to reward the overwhelmingly wealthy drivers of SUVs for owning cars rated as safe for occupants. Forget those who get in their way. What kind of rate can I get on a Sherman tank? America is ruled by big wheels, literally as well as figuratively. This is especially true in the Bay Area, despite its goody-two-hiking-shoes environmental pretensions. We put "Save the Environment" on the rear bumpers of our Explorers and Land Rovers. The front bumpers are reserved for pedestrians and small foreign cars. We pretend we like bicycles more than cars, then we put our mountain bikes on top of our cars and drive to the nearest mountain-where we complain about all the smog we see below. We all support mass transit and carpooling-for other people. Then what happens? We are rewarded for our hypocrisy with gifts of money by the insurance companies and time by the bridge authorities. With the new FasTrak electronic toll system, single occupant vehicles can breeze through the tollbooths of the Golden Gate Bridge much faster than carpools can get through for free. It's not clear, however, that FasTrak will do anything for the Bay Bridge. It's on permanent slow track. But let's get real here. When insurance companies lower rates for SUVs and other luxury cars, and bridge authorities start FasTrak systems, life becomes more untenable on the streets of San Francisco. Drivers are being rewarded to come to the city and run over people. Then, as happens all too often, city authorities don't even prosecute them. And then they want to sue gunmakers for hurting people? The hypocrisy never ends. San Francisco Mayor Willie Brown, who usually tools around in a limo escorted by a half dozen motorcycles, is always pushing San Francisco's "transit first" policy. Transit first is a great idea, but first there has to be transit. What's the best way to get good mass transit? Make it the mother of all necessities, the only way to get around besides shoe leather and muscle power. Almost 15 years ago, then-Supervisor Bill Maher advocated closing off all of downtown San Francisco to private automobiles, replacing them with squadrons of vans. I thought it was just Maher waxing visionary. But the idea has kept coming back in a variety of forms, including an abortive plan by Mayor Brown a few years ago to exclude private traffic from Market Street. It's time San Francisco got serious, and instituted a transit-only policy, at least within the core of the city. And the core is a constantly expanding core, with parking lots replaced by highrises, and traffic jams interrupted only for moments of accelerating terror. I'm serious about this. Downtown San Francisco and most of its neighborhoods are now paved with cars-parked, double-parked and parked on the sidewalk. Drivers internally combust, so when they finally get moving, they move way too fast. They see red, but not red lights. Then they flip us off as they fly by. This isn't America, or even Los Angeles, so why should we be crushed under the wheels of, well, wheels. Just think. When cars are evicted from downtown San Francisco, the bicyclists, skaters and scooter idiots can all take to the streets. Walkers can enjoy the mayhem from the sidewalk, which once again will be theirs alone. Chronicle columnist Rob Morse appears on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays. His e-mail is rmorse@sfchronicle.com. (c)2000 San Francisco Chronicle Page A25

G.M.Bulley Bulley-Hewlett Corporate Communications Mount Olive, NC +1.877.658.1278 tollfree http://www.bulley-hewlett.com

We can do better than sprawl. Educate yourself: http://www.uli.org http://www.smartgrowth.org http://www.cnu.org