Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 3 Dec 2000 13:12:53 -0800
From:         Daniel Schmitz <djs@GENE.COM>
Subject:      Newsflash: "Cooling System Troubles Caused by Owner"...

...that would be me.

You can file this under "Things NOT to Do to Avoid Constant Overheating"

Do NOT inadvertently leave your engine compartment bleeder valve open (not even a little bit) while you drive.

Doing so will prevent the system from building pressure, thus raising the boiling point of the coolant and causing all sorts of problems, like constant overheating under load, a maple-syrup smell you think is caused by your rear heater (mine's actually fine) but is in reality coming from coolant boiling over and exiting the bleeder and overflow tank (and coating the back of your van).

Ask me how I know...

Also, do NOT assume your expansion tank pressure cap is good, just because it looks good. I removed mine and noticed that I could effortlessly suck and blow through the hose connection, indicating the cap is not capable of holding adequate pressure. A brand new cap purchased yesterday at a local shop (Thanks, BenT) confirms my diagnosis. It takes some effort to suck and blow through it.

So, with these two remedies performed, I again filled and bled the cooling system. I bled the cooling system at the radiator so that just coolant flowed out, no air. I left my van idle in my driveway for more than 1/2 hour, and the temp rose to just above the LED and stayed there, not moving. The radiator fan cycled on and off as usual. Drove the van last night and the temp needle stayed put at just a hair over the LED. I will report back after my next freeway climb up a long grade, but I suspect that I have solved my problem for now. Both the open bleeder valve and the weak pressure cap were contributing factors.

Hope that my experience can save others from a similar fate.

Dan