Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 9 Dec 2000 08:42:45 -0800
From:         Bill Davidson <wdavidson@THEGRID.NET>
Subject:      Re: 6" or 4" door speakers
Comments: To: EVEHART33@AOL.COM

I have a pair of 4" and 6" round speakers. My door panels don't have speaker holes drilled yet. I'm seeking the advice of those who have gone before: should I use the stock location or someplace else on the panel? Would the 6"ers fit the stock location? BTW thanks for all the advice on the extenders.

Ken, In my 90 Westy Syncro, I enlarged the stock holes and insalled 5" speakers. They fit and they should A LOT better than the 4" speakers.... even with high quality after market 4" speakers you won't get much base at all. The 5 and 6" speaker are not much different in size so I would think the 6" ones would fit... as long as you check some of the following items:

Here are some of the things you need to consider when installing speakers: 1. The stock location in my 90 puts the speaker about 1/3 to 1/2 behind the side of the dash when the door is closed... this means the speaker you choose must not rise so far off the door pannel that it crunches against the dash when the door closes.... other locations would not block so much of the sound....

2. Stock speaker installation on my 90 has a 'pocket' in the plastic vapor barrier located between the door pannel and the metal door... the purpose is to keep water off of the back of the speaker... water will drip throug a drain hole in the wing window seal which is above the speaker... you should protect the back side of the speaker from water.... and make sure the screws that mount the speaker don't penetrate the plastic vapor barrier.

3. Speakers in the stock location will interfear with the manual window crank if the speaker rise off the door pannel too far.

4. If your van didn't come with speakers you may have to run new speaker wires.... wires that are routed through the door hinge area will be bending a lot... the same gauge wire with a higher number of smaller wires will bend more easily and tent to take longer to break.... the wires should be protected in a flexible conduit.

5. If you pick a location other than the stock location for your speakers make sure you wind the window up and down with the door pannel off to make sure there is no interfearance with the back of the speaker.

That's all I can think of right now...

Bill

[text/html]