Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 11 Dec 2000 18:55:32 +0100
From:         Robin Oomkes <robin.oomkes@SWIFT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Starting problem
Comments: cc: pvanmarwijk@MEDIAWEB.NL
micalg=sha1;

Peter,

You DO pull the cold-start knob in the dash before you start, don't you? You can get away with not using it when it's warm, but under 10 deg. Celsius you will get the same effect as what you describe. Also check that pulling the knob actually moves the corresponding lever on the fuel pump.

If you want to try together, give me a shout (@ 36 Volmolengracht)

Robin

Andrew Grebneff wrote:

> >My 1.6 Diesel Vanagon is having a bit of trouble with the cold starts lately. > >I've got the feeling it is just the pre-glowing (or what you call it in > >englsih), because after the light goes out, it takes forever for the start > >engine to 'catch'. I just keep the ignition key turned, it makes those > >pre-starting noise for a couple of minutes (!), then it slowly starts to > >shudder a bit and eventually the engine will respond with some better > >noises and start. Although it starts eventually I find it a bit scary and I > >don't want to wear the battery out. > > If your engine is turning with the starter motor but is taking ages to > fire, perhaps almost running but when you let the key go it stops, it could > be: > > 1) glowplugs failing or not enough electricity getting to them > 2) fuel blockage (filter) or water in fuel filter > 3) faulty/worn fuel pump or pump timing > 4) compression very low > > I have experienced all of these with Toyota diesels. 1 & 2 should be easy > to check and fix. > > With 4 the car would crank for ages, giving the glowplugs repeated > warmings, and eventually the engine would begin to fire weakly, not enough > to run without the starter. Finally it would start, blowing clouds of black > smoke briefly, and once warm would it start normally. The rings were very > worn and the cylinder bores had lips at the tops. This is hard on the > battery and hard on your nerves and patience! > > Andrew Grebneff > Dunedin, New Zealand > VW & mollusc nut > 1984 VW Caravelle (currently SVX engine; waiting for a Porsche trans) > 1985 Mitsubishi Galant Sigma 2.0 (FWD), for sale > 1986 CE80 Toyota Corolla 1.8DX diesel (extaxi) > 1989 CE96 Toyota Corolla 1.8DX diesel van/wagon > 1989 CT170 Toyota Corona Select 2.0 diesel (taxi)

smime.p7s [application/x-pkcs7-signature]