Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 12 Dec 2000 10:02:39 -0700
From:         Damian Shaw <dts@XMISSION.COM>
Subject:      tiico engine conversion

Hi all;

It is starting to look like the German head-gasket worm that lays its eggs in Vanagon waterboxers got to mine too. I think the little critters have hatched and are eating the gaskets in short order.

I have a very nice 87 Westy - all stock, excellent interior, very good exterior, only 85k miles; so it's worth the trouble of doing a 'good' engine upgrade.

So I'm thinking a lot about putting in the TiiCo 2.0l Golf engine from South Africa. Here's my thoughts - I would love to hear more; especially if you've done this (or another) engine conversion:

Pros: - Cost is actually pretty good considering what you're getting - fuel economy - power - reliability - new FI system (no more Digifant!) - fits perfectly

Cons: - aren't my gear ratios going to be poorly matched to the engine? - Is it REALLY legal? I know it can pass a smog test - but, if someone of authority knew what I had done to the van, would they make me take if off the road?? This is my biggest concern. - Is it heavier; will my van handle differently? - Is it as smooth as the wasserboxer? I really love the feel of the wasserboxer in 'around town' driving conditions.

I'm very much still in the 'thinking' stage. I don't even know for certain that my head gaskets have gone... I am also very intrigued by the Audi in-line 5 cyl conversion. That engine would really lend itself well to the Vanagon - and used in-line 5's are everywhere - I'm sure they're dirty cheap. If I could get one in the van, keep my ground clearance and keep it under the existing engine cover I would probably be sold. Don't think this is possible though. The Quantum Syncro's 5 cyl puts out 115HP in stock form; the tcoii engine probably couldn't keep up with it; especially if you modded it a bit. My stock 88 Quantum Syncro can out accelerate (0-60) my 89 Cabriolet with well-done 2.0l engine conversion. I can't see how the tcoii engine would be much different in power than my Cabriolet's.

Anyway, this is a long post - give me your thoughts if you have some.

Thanks,

Damian