Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 13 Dec 2000 10:09:36 EST
From:         KENWILFY@AOL.COM
Subject:      Follow up on hacking incident

Well, perhaps I over reacted a little yesterday about the obvious hack of our group website. I am not used to this new wave of "pro-active" internet security (ie hack into a site to show people how easy it is before someone malicous does it). Anyway the guy who did it does seem to be a decent fellow. Here is a copy of the correspondence we had from the time I initially found the problem to today. I guess I still have alot to learn about the net. Please read all the way to the end to get the full story.

Subj: Hacking Vanagon.com is not Cool! Date: 12/12/2000 5:14:53 PM Eastern Standard Time From: KENWILFY To: hiking@triple2u.com

Dear hacker person, I don't understand why you want to try to hack into a non-commerical website that is for enthusiasts.  We aren't selling anything and people who use this site are going to be more angry at you than impressed.  I mean it is not like the site is fort knox or anything, it is just a hobby site with minimal protection.  If you think you are hot stuff for hacking a wimpy page then you have another think coming.  I hope you enjoy your moment of glory because when 800 plus members of the group start hate mailing you on a daily basis for months at a time, you are going to wish you were never born.  Oh, did I forget to mention that many of them are also hackers as well.  Hope you sleep well at night.

Ken Wilford

Subj: RE: Hacking Vanagon.com is not Cool! Date: 12/13/2000 3:53:03 AM Eastern Standard Time From:    hiking@triple2u.com To:    KENWILFY@aol.com

dear ken

i will sleep well thank you

but i will fix your site tomorrow, sorry for what i did

and i will be glad if your friend (hacker), teach me how to hack because i am not hacker iam only testing security

best regards hiking

Subj: Re: Hacking Vanagon.com is not Cool! Date: 12/13/2000 8:25:48 AM Eastern Standard Time From: KENWILFY To: hiking@triple2u.com

Listen sorry about the hateful post.  I was angry that the site was down when I wanted to view something on it.  I guess you were trying to do us a favor by showing us the site is vulnerable.  My suggestion is that you explain this in more detail the next time you do something like this.  It could avoid mis-understandings.

Thanks, Ken Wilford

Subj: RE: Re: Hacking Vanagon.com is not Cool! Date: 12/13/2000 9:13:11 AM Eastern Standard Time From:    hiking@triple2u.com To:    KENWILFY@aol.com

ken thank you for understand ya i just want showing the site is vulnerable

oh ya pls tell to the admin to patch the hole get the patch from microsoft tell to admin to get MS00-078 patch

best regards

hiking

[text/html]